Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I take out a foley?

How do I take out a foley?

Hi SCI nurses, everybody.

this is kind of naive, but I need to know exactly how to remove a foley. I had surgery wednesday for a DIVU?, an incision and removal of a urethral sticture. They put a foley in afterwards, and I'm to remove it in the morning.

I was out of it when the nurse told me how to do it, so I don't remember exactly. I know it can't be too difficult, but due to the sensitive nature of the body part involved , I thought I'd get some advice.

What I remember was I am to insert the syringe into the catheter tube, and that's all I recall.

How do I know if I inserted the syringe correctly? Then do I just pull the syringe plunger thing out? The uro who did the surgery is already on vacation, so I thought I'd get some help here.

Thanks for any help
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Just sort of stick the syringe in and twist it to seat it securely. Much of the water will fill it automatically from the pressure against the balloon. Then pull back on the plunger to make sure all the water is out. Then just pull the catheter out gently.

Ok most Foleys you of course have the clear tube that the urine drains from. Leave this intact, you may even have red tape where the catheter attaches to the tube. Now next to this you will have a port where you can attach a syringe to. When you want to take the catheter out, attach the syringe and pull the water out--make sure you get all of it out usually around 10-20mls but keep pulling fluid out as long as you can. Once you have gotten this fluid out (this is what fills the balloon in your bladder) you can gently pull the Foley out.

Some people will just cut the port off and let the water drain off, but please do not cut the port, while 99 percent of the time it will drain the balloon, if something happened that it didnt you will have a headache.

Yeah like he said, just twist the Luer(?) lock syringe until it is attached to the foley valve thing. The pressure may start slowly filling the syringe with the water from the foley's balloon, but it helps to pull gently on the syringe plunger to move the process along. Once it won't pull any more water out unscrew the syringe. Gently start to pull the foley out. Sometimes the foley dribbles a little water on you as it's coming completely out, so either have something to catch that or just pinch the tube as you're removing it.
    De Omnibus Dubitandum

You have gotten the correct advice. You push the empty syringe on the branch of the catheter Y that does not have the bag connected. Draw out all the water...be sure to get it all. Don't cut off the arm and let the water drain. This is an old method, and often not successful, and then you can't hook up a syringe to such it out.

We nearly always leave a urethral catheter in for 2 weeks to heal a false passage or with any urethral reconstruction. I hope that this is not too soon for your removal.

(KLD)

cutting the y part with the port allows the balloon to deflate. i've done this many times. the valve is at the bottom of that part (usually light orange color). this is the only thing keeping balloon inflated with water.

as others said, the needleless syringe. all it has is a couple mm stub which disengages this valve.

i was typing at same time as KLD. she knows more than me. but cutting it has never failed for me. i usually use syringe method tho.
    Last edited by cass; 07-24-2006 at 12:20 AM.

Cutting it off does work MOST of the time, but when you try it and the water does not drain, then you are stuck. A balloon that does not deflate (it does happen) this way may require a visit to the ER or urologist to get it deflated. It is safer to do it with a syringe.

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noryn
    usually around 10-20mls but keep pulling fluid out as long as you can.

WOW!!
    I've always used 5-8ml, can't imagine that much!

There are quite a few different colors of foley catheters.

I'm hoping to find a glow in the dark one that whistles

i use 5cc balloons, which really hold 10 cc...wish somebody would explain that!

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp
    WOW!!
    I've always used 5-8ml, can't imagine that much!

There are quite a few different colors of foley catheters.

I'm hoping to find a glow in the dark one that whistles
    I think I use 10ml but if someone else puts it in there always just pull until you dont get anymore. I have seen more than a few nurses put 20+mls in there. Sometimes they dont know better other times their rationale is off the marker, ie lets see I bet if I add 10 mls to the balloon it wont come out or will quit leaking.