Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paragliding

Paragliding

nope, I haven't tried it, but I found this video of a launch from a chair...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGI8jMKX6eA

THAT would be a rush.

KICK ASS!!!! I'll go! Where do I sign up? Obviously somewhere outside of flatland Florida.....lol
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Hey Scott. Sky sports are major kewl.

Tried hang gliding? Love it, never went until post SCI.

Yes, I must have another pilot on bar and yes, he's the one actually flying us, but it's such a cerebral sport, so utterly peaceful, happy and free.

Because you're in a sleeping bag type harness and suspended over the bar by hooks/ropes/gear, it's possible to hang glide (even quad/cerebral palsied me).

I've done the tow release. You, the other pilot and the kite are towed to 2,500 feet where you snap a release from the plane. Given decent conditions, you're able to soar higher from that point on.

Takeoff and landing are the worst, provide the greatest possibility of something going wrong IMO, but then, the ground is always unforgiving.

Go for it! It's def possible to be a sky jockey post SCI.
    Last edited by LaMemChose; 07-21-2006 at 10:12 PM.

Chelle - yeah I know - that vid was taken @ a ski resort in Austria - slightly different terrain than FL.

LaMem - very cool. Haven't tried any of this stuff yet, although I'm definitely game for it providing an opportunity presents itself. As for the possiblity of things going wrong... *shrug* chalk it up to part of the thrill.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    Chelle - yeah I know - that vid was taken @ a ski resort in Austria - slightly different terrain than FL.

LaMem - very cool. Haven't tried any of this stuff yet, although I'm definitely game for it providing an opportunity presents itself. As for the possiblity of things going wrong... *shrug* chalk it up to part of the thrill.
    Exactly on the thrill! I'm still an adrenaline junkie to this day given half a chance.

If I could handle extreme heat, I'd liked to have gone flying again during the last week and a half. The hotter the temps, the better the opportunity for catching a thermal over the valley floor.

If the temps aren't mindblowingly high, I may hang glide again for my birthday next month. We'll see how the weather holds.

Flatland Flying

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    KICK ASS!!!! I'll go! Where do I sign up? Obviously somewhere outside of flatland Florida.....lol
    'Chelle,

Down Here in the Keys, people hang glide by being towed by boats. Looks really cool. Haven't tried it yet, but it's on the list.

Foolish

Sounds like fun .. but I'm afraid I'd have to be the boat's anchor. LMAO

Nah!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    Sounds like fun .. but I'm afraid I'd have to be the boat's anchor. LMAO
    Anybody can float with the proper flotation vest. Besides, most of the near shore water here is very shallow.

The rig is like a tandem bench seat taken airborne by a parachute (no pun).

Foolish

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old
    'Chelle,

Down Here in the Keys, people hang glide by being towed by boats. Looks really cool. Haven't tried it yet, but it's on the list.

Foolish
    ahh, yes, para-sailing....they do that off of Ft Myers Beach too.....I've wanted to do that for years, never got around to it when I lived there....go figure...someday
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

That would be so exciting. They do paragliding here, but none of my friends will go with me!
    ~Ashley~