Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The hunt for 4-AP!

The hunt for 4-AP!

College pharmacy gave me a list of doc's but only 2 were valid numbers and they were OB/GYN's...?? I am waiting for them to search for more numbers. Man this is frustrating!!

Mike's physiatrist is the place to start.

The physiatrist wouldn't do it, nor would the rehab doc, his neurologist or the primary....

Quote Originally Posted by ChopperChick
    The physiatrist wouldn't do it, nor would the rehab doc, his neurologist or the primary....
    Why? My doc was all for it except my epilepsy precludes 4-AP.

You may have to shop around for a private physiatrist or neurologist and private pay for a consultation to get a prescription. I suspect that Kaiser has a rule against prescribing non-formulary drugs or compounded drugs. I know that the VA has a rule like this.

(KLD)

Don't you sometimes hate insurance KLD?

An rx for 4-AP shouldn't be cost prohibitive Chop. I was prepped to pay out of pocket had my insurance denied it, but couldn't get that far. Epilepsy hit the brakes hard on 4-AP for me.

Fighting with insurance companies, and watching my patients & their families having to fight (often with no result) was the main reason I changed jobs to work for the VA instead of working in a private sector rehab (where we did a lot of contract Kaiser work in addition to a lot of other HMOs and PPOs).

I still sometimes have to say "no" because of an eligiblity or funding issue, but I know the rules up front, and I have to say "no" a LOT less often than I used to. I much prefer to tell my patients, "yes, we can do that for you"!!!

(KLD)

I must have got luckly with my doc. She told me i know more than her about my body and sci, so she told me she'll follow whatever I want to do. It doesn't hurt to try she said. i'm going to keep this doc and she's a hottie. She is just a regular family doctor, not a physiatrist.

Have you tried just regular doc? rather than a neruo or physci? Somtimes if the doc has a special title he will think he knows it all and won't even let you try somthing new out there.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Fighting with insurance companies, and watching my patients & their families having to fight (often with no result) was the main reason I changed jobs to work for the VA instead of working in a private sector rehab (where we did a lot of contract Kaiser work in addition to a lot of other HMOs and PPOs).

I still sometimes have to say "no" because of an eligiblity or funding issue, but I know the rules up front, and I have to say "no" a LOT less often than I used to. I much prefer to tell my patients, "yes, we can do that for you"!!!

(KLD)
    KLD, have a feeling from your posts you are a total patient advocate, always have been. Kudos to you.

Yeah, it's a Kaiser issue I am sure of it. We are looking for someone outside the network and we are near the bay area so we should find someone eventually... I even gave those docs all kinds of info on 4-AP like Cory did and they just weren't having it.....