Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: weight training and SCI

I posted this in another thread, but for cardio, the Schwinn Windjammer is a great piece of equipment. I got it this past January. http://www.komkare.com/phys_therapy/...inn_wjmmr.html The seat comes off that rail if you want. I took it off and just cycle from my chair. The handgrips are comfortable and are at a perfect, natural angle. It's very durable and quiet, except for the fan blades blowing air (which is a good thing). You can either cycle with both grips in unison, like a hand bike, or as opposites. It cycles forward and back, too. I hit it at least 5 days a week for 35 minutes.
    Last edited by Rock517; 07-22-2006 at 07:35 PM.
    6/18/00: T-5 complete

Quote Originally Posted by FreeBird
    I use to go to the World Gym and do free weights/machines as well. But relocated in the mountains. I bought the VersaTrainer to work out at home. It was created for indivduals in chairs. I have a program with 10-12 different exercises. It comes with 210 lbs. and can add an additional 100 lbs. I'm a c7-c8 and can set the machine myself. I've used it for 7 years. No complaints.

It's for quad's and para's
    That VersaTrainer looks pretty cool. About what are its dimensions? Are the banded exercises comparable to what one gets with free weights since you have to stabilize yourself? Thanks.

Thumbs up I have a versatrainer and my wife has a bowflex in

the Garage/gym. The weight is heavier with free weights. Bowflex will send you a free CD about the Versatrainer. It will show you the exercises and use. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I work out about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. a day. Great home gym.

It's 5 ft Long by 4 ft wide??? Also Bowflex has came out with some KILLER dumbells. You've probably seen them on tv. Their great and easy to adjust!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock517
    That VersaTrainer looks pretty cool. About what are its dimensions? Are the banded exercises comparable to what one gets with free weights since you have to stabilize yourself? Thanks.
    Last edited by FreeBird; 07-22-2006 at 08:13 PM.
    Lynarrd Skynyrd Lives

If you think you have health issues such as Carpal Tunnel Syndrom and arthritis, you need to have these problems properly diagnosed and then medically treated before starting any training program involving weights. Inform your doctor about your wishes to get back into better shape, and then ask him or her how best you can achieve this while your being treated. In my opinion, a physical therapist experienced in treating and evalulating arthritic patients is the way to go. Your PT may recommend first starting off with some water based excercise activity which may include swimming, the advantage being that you can still increase your endurance and strength yet still make it easier on the joints. Strength training is recommended for those with arthritis, but it doesn´t always have to be based on weight training. Carpal Tunnel Syndrom can be treated surgically if traditional treatment methods are unsuccessful.
    Last edited by Mike C; 07-22-2006 at 08:13 PM.
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Quote Originally Posted by FreeBird
    the Garage/gym. The weight is heavier with free weights. Bowflex will send you a free CD about the Versatrainer. It will show you the exercises and use. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I work out about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. a day. Great home gym.

It's 5 ft Long by 4 ft wide??? Also Bowflex has came out with some KILLER dumbells. You've probably seen them on tv. Their great and easy to adjust!
    Thanks for your input. I just ordered a DVD from BowFlex.

I found this weight-lifting station online, too, and it looks like it might be decent. http://secure.srginc.biz/product.php...000&mode=build

Just trying to stay in shape.

Hey, thanks for all the posts. This is my first opportunity to check back. I believe I'm in good shape for the shape I'm in. Despite my "advanced age" I want to continue to play w/c BB at a high level. Hence, my current interest in weight training. My competitors are generally 10 to 30 yrs. younger than me, and I need to do something to improve strength and speed.
    The weight loss is so that I have less to push and want to look better. I have a hand surgeon that monitors my hand problems. I tried a search for basketball specific weight training, but couldn't find anything. I'll check the links provided, but none of them sound like what I'm looking for. Keep posting, if you come up with anything else.

Tasty-

You want to push faster, accelerate faster, etc. Right? If you went out and pushed until you couldnt push anymore (until failure) which muscles would burn? Anterior deltoid primarily, triceps and forearms secondarily.

Now we want to concentrate on the primary and secondary muscles involved in this movement. However, we have to be sure we work the antagonist muscles equally or there will be an inbalance in strength of opposing muscles. Usually results in injury, especially in older age folk (no offense).

So lets say you do front raise and upright rotator cuff (upper arm parallel to floor, arm bent at 90*, start with hand down towards floor and rotate backwards until hand has traveled apporx 180*... this is the very similar movement as pushing a wheelchair (without extending your arms obviously)). Now the front raise will work primarily your anterior deltoid (primary) and the upright rot cuff will work the mainly the posterior deltoid and the rot cuff. Superset them together would be a quick, simple shoulder workout and be effective as long as you are smart with your weight and how your body is feeling.

I would say med-heavy weight for BB, but since you are older I would recommend higher reps, lower weight. Regardless of age if you race you would want to do higher reps, low weight (duh how many times are you hitting the wheels in 26mi?).

I hope that made sense to you. If not let me know and Ill try to rephrase it.

-Jeff.
    IMPOSSIBLE IS JUST A BIG WORD THROWN AROUND BY SMALL MEN WHO FIND IT EASIER TO LIVE IN THE WORLD THEY'VE BEEN GIVEN THAN TO EXPLORE THE POWER THEY HAVE TO CHANGE IT. IMPOSSIBLE IS NOT A FACT. IT'S AN OPINION. IMPOSSIBLE IS NOT A DECLARATION. IT'S A DARE. IMPOSSIBLE IS POTENTIAL. IMPOSSIBLE IS TEMPORARY.

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING.

Might want to explain what a superset is, Jeff. Good advice, though.

Tasty, I think your best bet would be to go to a local gym and talk to a trainer. Tell him what you're looking to strengthen. I'll bet he'd go over some exercises you could do at home and not charge you or anything. In my six years it's been my experience that people will bend over backward to help - whether we want it or not (and it's almost always the latter for me)...

well

What I've been doing for the last year is lifting dumbbells standing up between parallel bars, in my braces. I didn't want to risk further pressure injury, and lifting weights above my head while seated seems like a really novel way to injure myself. You can also do MANY exercises with dumbbells...chest press, laying rows, extensions. Lay down on a bed, it's completely safe. And its alot cheaper than $50 a month gym membership. That is, unless you're going to the gym to meet women...for some reason, chiks seem to think that their "workouts" need to be some social activity. For romance, I stick to bars, and the dairy section at the grocery

The other thing is that if anything needs to be made stronger, it's my returning core muscles, abs, paraspinals, gluteus.

I do hit my speed bag seated now, but that's for a cardio workup...about 1000 reps a day, broken up into a couple sets. Hitting the speed bag has been the most severe cardio workout that I've gotten since I've been hurt.

I did it...I bought a bench. You know where it is? In the back of my place. It takes me 15 minutes to tie down my chair and transfer to it. It will take about 10 minutes to load the weights. And it aint safe to bench press alone! Period...
    Eric Texley

musclebeach, et. al

Some clarification would be helpful. What is a superset? However, I'll print out your post, and bring it to the gym. The machines provide diagrams as to the muscle groups that will be impacted by their use. My plan definitely is to focus on low weight, high reps. This should also improve cardio and assist with the minimal weight loss I need. A trainer is available for an extra fee, but, in my experience, most AB's have little insight as to what works for w/c athletes.