Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: condom catheter woes

condom catheter woes

I am inconsistently having trouble with the catheter coming off my husband at night. He doesn't move around (he's a stroke victim) so I know it's not from motion. I used the measurement device so I'm pretty sure it's the right size. The brand I'm using is Freedom Clear, latex free (silicone) with adhesive, intermediate 31 mm. I trimmed the pubic hair and I'm washing the area, but I'm still having this problem. I saw that a couple of you are giving these catheters away for just postage, and I don't want to request them if they won't work! Does anyone have any suggestions?? When it does work, it's terrific.

You may want to try Rochester Wide Band. I've never had any problems with them. They stay on better than any other I've tried. They will even send you a free sample.

I would try Hollister external catheters plus use

tincture benzoin as a skin prep. It will stay on
    Lynarrd Skynyrd Lives

kande,

When you mentioned "He doesn't move around (he's a stroke victim) so I know it's not from motion", I wondered
    • how he sleeps, i.e. on his back only? -- dangerous for pressure sores if not turned (I only sleep on my side and turn myself at least once a night)
    • is the bedbag tube "looped"? IOW is it tugging at the condom?
    • is there a small (not big enough to blow the condom -- happened to me several times) twist just enough to allow drainage to the bag but also back to the penis sides?
    • does he have arm/hand movement to tug at the bag hose while sleeping?

the list is not exhaustive by any means, just my .02 of things that have happened to me with different adhesive brands. The external clamping straps could pose other problems in the non-adhesive condoms.
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

a couple thoughts, is the drainage bag he is using "lower" so the urine flows down?

Also many bags have a "flutter valve" in bag that usually can see right through clear plastic ( unless you are using latex bag) anyway the purpose of the flutter valve is to keep urine from draining backward... if it gets folded back it will keep urine from getting in bag and thus cause external cateher to blow.

Here is perhaps the first question I should have asked... is there urine in his drainage bag when his caths are coming off? if not the problem may be in the bag placement or valve type situation mentioned above ( rather than cath) ... both easy to fix.

I use conveen...next to never have leaks and i'm very active and even on hot days where i perspire they never seem to be an issue 99.9% of the time and i'm up and going with it on from 7am-midnight at least...
    http://www.coloplast.co.uk/ECompany/...1?OpenDocument

a small tip, if u can, put it on when he has a bit of an erection, or stimulate him to a bit of an erection and put it on for 2 reason (i do this, i put mine on only when i get myself erect):

1) it'll be very easy to put it on smoothly down the entire shaft and get the maximum amount of ashesive contacting skin

2)you'll ensure it gets on without wrinkles/creases which'll guarantee a leak-free seal

the conveen are very "soft" latex so as the erection goes down it flexes easily not leaving the skin stretched

Quote Originally Posted by Brad_D
    You may want to try Rochester Wide Band. I've never had any problems with them. They stay on better than any other I've tried. They will even send you a free sample.
    I agree, these catheters stay on great.

Are you absolutely sure the skin is dry and properly rinsed of soap. This was my big issue with those Caths.

kande

We are starting to go all over the map here.

Why don't we start from the beginning again (there's nothing in your profile) and explain what is happening in more detail.

Strokes come in all shapes and forms. What exactly is the situation?, otherwise we will all be guessing and perhaps not give you the information you are looking for. It would be extremely helpful to all of us.

A stroke can result in hemiplegia (not what you describe), and other conditions.
    Last edited by LaoziSailor; 07-18-2006 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Replace } for ], my bad
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

Laozi, not sure what you are talking about...it is common for people who have strokes to also have urinary incontinence. This is called an uninhibited neurogenic bladder (as opposed to the reflex bladder more often found in SCI). Hemiplegia may result from a stroke of the brain cortex, but quadriplegia can result from a stroke in the brain stem or pons. The cause of the disability is less important here than how to manage the incontinence.

The information we need is:
    1) what is the skin preparation.
    2) is retraction a problem,
    3) could he be pulling the external off (a common problem in stroke)
    4) what is being used to protect the skin and improve adhesion,
    5) what is being used to further secure the catheter, and
    6) how is the drainage system being arranged/positioned.

(KLD)