Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Have you been a victim of crime post SCI?

Chad was sexually assaulted when he was college. Chad was in the bottom bunk, as he normally was and his PCA had left and his roommate was not back yet. The door was unlocked and some pervert who lived in the dorm and knew he was disabled and 100% vulnerable came in, undressed and got into bed with him. He began the process of trying to rape him when Chad was able to summon 911 with his environmental control unit, which was hooked up to a phone line. Campus police already had Chad "registered" as an emergency case if he ever called, even if he called and hung up immediately, so the campus police arrived in under 1 minute. The guy was apparently unable to "perform" and was getting really pissed at Chad (you know, it was his fault ) when the police arrived and arrested the guy.

Chad pressed charges and the perpetrator was convicted. Don't recall jail time, etc, but he did time.

It's one reason we ALWAYS have his ECU plugged into the phone line.

Don't mean to embarrass him by posting this, but it is all a matter of public record in the courts of NC.

Ami
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru
    PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not be tempted to carry a gun.

Remember you are sat and only have two arms; by the time you decide to shoot, your assailant will be so close you will need to manoeuvre your chair, aim and fire without him/her getting behind you, IMPOSSIBLE.

The only way you could take a shot would be when the assailant was so far away you would have no way of knowing their intentions.

Oh! He was collecting for cancer research was he? Sorry.
    you should be more specific.... people who DO NOT know how to use a gun shouldnt carry.....your scenario is for the uneducated
    "God didnt make men equal, Sam Colt did!"
    There's
    No
    Place

Robbed

Eric and I were leaving a bar in the winter and I was pushing him toward the van. We parked on the street. This big dude ran out of the bushes with a gun pointed at us. He said give me your wallets.

I told him and showed him I had only my driver's license and some cash in my pocket and that my wallet was at home. He asked if "he" (pointing to Eric) had any money.

Of course big mouth Eric says, "No I (with a big emphasis on the "I") don't have any money on me. He always holds my money for me. And I can speak for myself in the future........" and he goes into this tyrade about how people who are in wheelchairs are not stupid and can often talk and think for themselves. He was yelling back at the guy. It all happened so fast but I was thinking this cannot be real. I was scared shitless.

The guy was just standing there looking at us. I was waiting on him to pull the trigger just to shut Eric up. Then kill me for the fun of being there.

Anyway the dude just says, "Fucking queer asses" and runs off with about 50 bucks.

So, not matter what you have to protect yourself, sometimes there is no way you can use it. If I had a gun, there was no way I would have been expecting this robbery nor would have had time to get it out without compromising the safety of my partner or myself. If I had of made any sudden moves, he would have probably shot us both.

I would vote the best thing is having a cell phone to call friends after you been a victim, (as well as if you run out of wc battery or get stuck, etc) and one of those personal alarms that have a pin-like thing that can hook to the wheelchair or something that has a real high pitched alarm. When the pin is pulled, it alarms until someone puts the pin back in or the battery dies in a few hours.

The best thing to do if out in the open, is cooperate. Your chances of survival are greater.

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    I have known too many tweakers too long and too well to have anything more than zero tolerance for them.
    ditto. twiggers suck
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by michaelricky
    The best thing to do if out in the open, is cooperate. Your chances of survival are greater.
    What kind of answer is that? I'm not sure I'd cooperate with anyone who was trying to rob me.
    Daniel

Question

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc
    ditto. twiggers suck
    Is "twiggers" an alternate term for "tweakers" where you come from?

Tweakers: speed junkies as in: "Spun out and tweakin."
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc
    What kind of answer is that? I'm not sure I'd cooperate with anyone who was trying to rob me.
    Dan-
    you have no idea what you'd actually do when you have a gun pointed at your face and someone demanding you to do something....OK, my mugging was pre-SCI but nonetheless you still have no idea how you will react until it happens....TRUST ME, when the guy demanded to see my cell phone when it started ringing, I showed it to him.....yeah, he took it, that's also what made him take off and run....That just may have saved my life...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    Dan-
    you have no idea what you'd actually do when you have a gun pointed at your face and someone demanding you to do something....OK, my mugging was pre-SCI but nonetheless you still have no idea how you will react until it happens....TRUST ME, when the guy demanded to see my cell phone when it started ringing, I showed it to him.....yeah, he took it, that's also what made him take off and run....That just may have saved my life...
    I agree.Everyone is different and acts diffrerent in certain situations.My friend and I got robbed at a bar in the parking lot.The guy yells gimme your wallets.Natrually we yell f--k you ready to pounce.Then he pulls out a gun.I wasn't listening ready to fight.Well that all changed after he fired a shot.I guess hearing the shot something in my head made me realize that 200 dollars was not worth dyn' for.He was caught the next day.
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    Dan-
    No chelle, I'm pretty sure I'd know what I'd do. I've been a victim of attempted muggings, car jackings and have had a gun shoved in my face (all this pre-SCI). I don't think the spinal cord injury has changed my attitude. Oh hell no! Ain't nobody taking my stuff.
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    Is "twiggers" an alternate term for "tweakers" where you come from?

Tweakers: speed junkies as in: "Spun out and tweakin."
    Yeah, meth freaks.
    Daniel