Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does alcohol affect recovery?

Does alcohol affect recovery?

Question via email:

dr.young,does occasional intake of alcohol alter the course of SCI?

You mean if I drink more I might walk? Cool
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    You mean if I drink more I might walk? Cool

Haven't you ever heard of Johnnie Walker?

Occasional small amounts of alcohol shouldn't affect the recovery. Some say beer cures/helps UTI. I have not read any research so I have no comment.
    Some medications can not be taken with alcohol due to interactions, absorption problems.

CWO

alcohol

I would like to recommend non-alcoholic beer as something to aid in prevention of UTI's. I didn't know there was such a thing before this SCI occured. Since my brother started a regime of non-alcoholic beer, his UTI's have seemingly gotten a little better. Of course he wouldn't drink the cranberry juice like he does the beer, so that might be why the cranberry juice didn't do too much for his particular case. He drinks a six pack every other day, although I'm told just one or two a day would be the norm. But what can it hurt, except for a possible weight gain - there's no alcohol in it for a buzz.

As far a drinking a "real beer", what the SCI nurse told you above about mixing alcohol w/medications is something to contend with. It could cause you much harm depending on what you're taking orally.

Just some thoughts....
    Vickie

I'll drink if it'll speed up my recovery. Hehe ...

This one T6 para I met out in California has recovered walking. He tells me the "secret" is smoking a lot of crystal meth.
    Daniel

I drink one beer a night either Keiths or Guiness,i have for years...i have no bladder infections,my BP is spot on like clock work 1 accident in the fast 4yrs and im healthy and happy...ALL HAIL BEER! CHEERS!

My Dr told me a beer,glass o wine or stiff drink a night can be beneficial for ones health and well being.....but i dont take any kinds meds at all,so is answer might have been different if i was.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    I drink one beer a night either Keiths or Guiness,i have for years...i have no bladder infections,my BP is spot on like clock work 1 accident in the fast 4yrs and im healthy and happy...ALL HAIL BEER! CHEERS!

My Dr told me a beer,glass o wine or stiff drink a night can be beneficial for ones health and well being.....but i dont take any kinds meds at all,so is answer might have been different if i was.
    Same here but I didn't catch it when the doctor said "one". And no meds for me either. Almost none in the last 20 years.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

As with any use of alcohol in large amounts, keep in mind that alcohol is a poison for your body. We have many years of evidence of excessive use of alcohol causing brain damage and peripheral neuropathies, so you can probably extrapolate that data to see that healing of your spinal cord would not be helped by alcohol. Keep intake to small, occasional amounts if your concern is the health of your central and peripheral nervous system, and improvement of potential for healing in this area.

(KLD)

I'm sure one of the beer companies would be more than happy to sponsor a study .. if they only knew .. lol.