Thread: UTI Infections..

UTI Infections..

Can someone tell me what would be the best antibiotic for a UTI infection and how long should one person be on this drug..I need to know so I can tell my Doctor because the way its looking now he dont know what hes doing.
    Thanks Stiggy
    p.s.Yes,I did have a test last week at the doctors and I do have a infection.

"The Meaning of things lies not in things themselves,but in our attitude towards them"

There is no "one best" antibiotic. The sensitivity test part of the culture and sensitivity is designed to tell your physician which (if any) antibiotic is most likely to eradicate the specific bacteria you are trying to get rid of. The "gunshot" one-antibiotic-for-all approach is the most likely way to end up with multiple drug resistant bacteria chronically colonizing your bladder.

A positive culture is not an infection. It is colonization, and not to be treated, unless you have other symptoms (fever, chills, elevated blood white blood cells, etc.). Here is a good reference on this. Print this out, review it, and discuss it with your physician:

http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/epcsums/utisumm.htm

(KLD)

Thank you so much for your help...
    The culture did define what antibiotic I need.
    Happy Trails Stiggy

"The Meaning of things lies not in things themselves,but in our attitude towards them"