Thread: Botox for the bladder

Botox for the bladder

My dr. wants to do Botox on my bladder but he said it wasn't approved and therefore insuance won't pay for it. He said it's like $300/injection and it could be up to 10 injections. So, instead he upped my detrol to 4mg 2x a day. Does anyone have any idea if the botox is being reviewed for approval or any studies taking place? How have others gotten this treatment? I can't afford even one injection.

don't you have an augmented bladder?
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

It is a new procedure and all insurances etc.. don't cover it especially when all meds at their maximum dosages haven't been tried.
    You should contact your insurance carrier for more specific information.

CWO

No augmented bladder. They didn't augment it when I had my mitrofanoff- not sure why. If we need to do the surgery, we will, but he wants to try everything before that. I've tried ditropan but it didn't help, then I switched to Detrol and it worked better but at night I'm cathing every 2-3 hours WITH restricting my fluids. I have a good amount of edema so that's probably why but I'm sick of cathing so much at night! My bladder starts to spasm around 215 cc WITH Detrol.

SCI-Nurse: Is it just that it's new or is the Botox not approved for treating the bladder, yet?
    Last edited by kimmyprettyface; 07-14-2006 at 09:33 AM.

Higher dose at bedtime? What about the Oxytrol patch???
    I believe it is approved but it is new & like any other intervention that is going to be expensive and require repeated injections, if a pill or patch works, they will not approve Botox or surgery or invasive things like that.

CWO

Hmmm, haven't heard abot the Oxytrol patch...

My husband's insurance covered it. Has your doctor checked with your insurance specifically? Can you lobby them? Maybe the doctor would be willing to lobby on your behalf?
    AB wife of T8 complete para