Thread: Freaking out...

Exclamation Freaking out...

Ok, I mentioned having stomach issues before and am still having them. I’m scheduled to see a GI doctor August 10th. In the mean time, I was doing a self case study to see if I can find what I was or wasn’t doing right. When it came to medications, I did some further research. I really looked into the side effects…

I was totally freaked out to learn of all the side effects that can occur from the medications that I am currently taking… Quite honestly, I’m disturbed… Just read the side effects below and I’m sure that those who take these medications would feel the same… I realize that a majority of prescription medications have similar side effects… Some may be worse…

My big concern is that the medications that I take all share the same similar side effects… I’m wondering if what I am experience with my stomach is due to the medications… I just recently tried to reduce the amount of baclofen that I take. According to the side effects, it may be bad to stop taking baclofen.

Does anyone know of any alternative medicines for any of these? Honestly, I’m looking to get off of these medications... Sorry for the long post but the information below is very important...

My current meds are:

1. Fleet Bisacodyl, Magic Bullet
    Dosage: once a day (every morning)

2. Baclofen
    Dosage: 90mg (30mg three times a day)

3. Ditropan
    Dosage: 30mg (10mg 3 times a day)

1. Fleet Bisacodyl, Magic Bullet
    SIDE EFFECTS: This medication may cause stomach ache, cramping, weakness, sweating, irritation of the rectal area, stomach and intestinal irritation, diarrhea, or dizziness. Notify your doctor if you experience: chest pain, fainting, rectal bleeding, and lack of bowel movements. Frequent use of laxatives can cause dehydration and loss of essential nutrients. Symptoms include muscle cramps, muscle weakness or dizziness. Maintain an adequate fluid intake while using this medication. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

2. Baclofen
    SIDE EFFECTS:
    Less common or rare
    Bloody or dark urine; chest pain; fainting; hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there); mental depression or other mood changes; ringing or buzzing in the ears; skin rash or itching

Symptoms of overdose
    Blurred or double vision; convulsions (seizures); muscle weakness (severe); shortness of breath or unusually slow or troubled breathing; vomiting

Other side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. However, check with your doctor if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome:

More common
    Confusion; dizziness or lightheadedness ; drowsiness; nausea; unusual weakness, especially muscle weakness

Less common or rare
    Abdominal or stomach pain or discomfort; clumsiness, unsteadiness, trembling, or other problems with muscle control ; constipation; diarrhea ; difficult or painful urination or decrease in amount of urine; false sense of well-being; frequent urge to urinate or uncontrolled urination; headache; loss of appetite; low blood pressure; muscle or joint pain; numbness or tingling in hands or feet; pounding heartbeat; sexual problems in males; slurred speech or other speech problems ; stuffy nose; swelling of ankles; trouble in sleeping; unexplained muscle stiffness; unusual excitement ; unusual tiredness; weight gain

Some side effects may occur after you have stopped taking this medicine, especially if you stop taking it suddenly. Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following effects occur:
    Convulsions (seizures); hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there); increase in muscle spasm, cramping, or tightness; mood or mental changes; unusual nervousness or restlessness

3. Ditropan
    SIDE EFFECTS: Dry mouth or eyes, headache, constipation, nausea, or drowsiness may occur. If these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor promptly. Report promptly: weakness, dizziness, vision problems, symptoms of urinary infection (e.g., urinary burning, urgent or frequent urination). Unlikely but report promptly: eye pain, difficulty with urination, severe stomach pain, chest pain, fast or irregular heartbeat, fever, mental/mood changes, flushing hot or dry skin. In the unlikely event you have an allergic reaction to this drug, seek immediate medical attention. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include: rash, itching, swelling, severe dizziness, trouble breathing. To relieve dry mouth, suck on (sugarless) hard candy or ice chips, chew (sugarless) gum, drink water or use saliva substitute. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

Rare
    Eye pain; skin rash or hives

Symptoms of overdose
    Clumsiness or unsteadiness; confusion ; convulsions; dizziness ; drowsiness (severe); fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fever; flushing or redness of face; hallucinations (seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there); shortness of breath or troubled breathing ; unusual excitement, nervousness, restlessness, or irritability

Other side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. However, check with your doctor if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome:

More common
    Acid or sour stomach; belching ; constipation; decreased sweating; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dryness of eyes, mouth, nose, and throat ; heartburn; indigestion; stomach discomfort, upset or pain; decreased sweating; runny nose

Less common or rare
    Blurred vision; decreased flow of breast milk; decreased sexual ability; difficult urination; difficulty in swallowing; feeling of warmth or heat; flushing or redness of skin, especially on face and neck; headache; increased sensitivity of eyes to light ; nausea or vomiting; trouble in sleeping; unusual tiredness or weakness

Other side effects not listed above may also occur in some patients. If you notice any other effects, check with your doctor.
    Incidence not determined--—Observed during clinical practice with levofloxacin; estimates of frequency cannot be determined

Bloating or swelling of face, arms, hands, lower legs, or feet; decreased interest in sexual intercourse; inability to have or keep an erection; loss in sexual ability, desire, drive, or performance; rapid weight gain; seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there; tingling of hands or feet; unusual weight gain or loss

My personal feelings are this, if you dont need a medication dont take it. However, medication is responsible for not only prolonging lives but for managing conditions to add life to your life, if that makes sense. Basically it is a give and take situation. I dont think any medication can be considered "safe", although some are safer than others. On the flip side, look up the side effects of insulin, it can be scary yet it is responsible for people living pretty much normal lives.

You mention alternative medications but if you are referring to herbal medications they have side effects and can be more dangerous than regular medication.

You really arent on many meds. If your spasms are severe and your daily living is affected by them then I would consider staying on the Baclofen. If you dont feel that the Baclofen is effective, contact your doctor and taper the dose down--do not just stop it.

Discuss your meds with your doctors but medications are responsible for stomach upset but so are a lot of other things such as ulcers, hernias, etc.

Just be sure you understand the consequences such as going off of Fleets then will you be dealing with constipation issues that could trigger AD or further your abd discomfort?

You probably need your ditropan, or a similar drug...it stops your bladder from spasming, and is very important.

If you are taking baclofen because of bad muscle/body spasms, you might think about the medtronic intrathecal baclofen pump...only a minute amount is delivered into your spinal column, but the side effects might be the same. I've had one for a decade or so, so if I did have side effects, I've forgotten.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Frankie,
    There is book that might be able to help you.
    Natural Cures They Don't Want You to Know About, by Kevin Trudeau.
    It has helped me quite a lot. I no longer have to take any medicine for anything.
    Let your Heart be your guide in Life and Love.
    Alice

That guy, Kevin Trudeau, has been investigated criminally for fraud.

Hi Lynnifer, I saw a program last night, primetime, about a healer up there in canada...named Adam something. He's just 19 or 20, and supposedly he's been healing folks with cancer and such left and right.

Have you heard of him? I imagine the fraud police are looking into him...
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Back off slowly on the meds from week to week, if you need to to see what you need and what you don't. You could try to add over the counter zantac 75 mg twice daily to see if that helps also. I'm no doctor, however, nor do I play one one TV.

PS I take 40 mg x 3 a day of Baclofen
    and at one time took obscene amounts of ditropan and oxybutin and xaniflux and a fleets enema and you name it I took it. Much of it I still take. Speak with your Doc about ramping down safely with what you might not need.

J.
    Last edited by NoDecafPlz; 07-14-2006 at 09:35 PM.
    And the truth shall set you free.