Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any attendants up for travel?

any attendants up for travel?

I’m a C-5 quad living in Los Angeles area. I used to travel quite a bit, but haven’t for too long because of attendants. I love my “girls” (attendants) but traveling is difficult for them – families, kids, etc. Are there agencies offering this service or even someone reading this who might be interested? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

K. S.

There used to be a couple agencies, but they were VERY expensive and most of the links I had no longer work. You might try posting on some of the travel sites. I have seen a couple offers from people who are looking for positions like this on cruises in return for paying for their trip. Check out www.cruisecritic.com (Disabled Cruising forum, especially).

Do you have any family that might be interested? My mother (who has MS) also lives in the LA area and has a live-in PCA but she has another job too, so can't travel with my parents (who are elderly). We go on one or two cruises a year and a least one "car trip" and I go along as the attendant, using my vacation time. My dad generously pays my way.

(KLD)

Thanks KLD, I’ll look into cruise link you recommended (went on one before…total blast). Yes, I do have family and they have been consistentlys helpful over the years including travel. However, I prefer to keep my care and personal life somewhat separate – whenever I sense that I might be a “burden” in any way, I find another way.

Thanks,

kris

the cruise line might even help you. i can transfer and all that, but needed help with bowel thing. nurse on board helped me.

They will charge you a hefty fee for this. The cruise lines make it very clear that if you need assistance, you need to bring someone with you to do this, and many require that if you are in a chair you have an AB companion traveling with you.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    They will charge you a hefty fee for this. The cruise lines make it very clear that if you need assistance, you need to bring someone with you to do this, and many require that if you are in a chair you have an AB companion traveling with you.

(KLD)
    scinurse do you know anybody who has gone on a cruise with a vent? You already filled me in on some of the challenges of flying, but I wonder about a cruise. One of the nurses here had a patient who went on several train trips in both Canada and the US. But she didn't think a cruise would be feasible. Just wondering. Thanks.

kld,
    i was charged a fee but it wasn't bad. but all i needed was a little help with the suppository. the nurse was very accommodating. i don't know how much other help they might be willing to give as i never asked. and i don't know how much help this poster needs. i imagine it varies with the cruise lines. i doubt they offer much help, but i'd ask just for the heck of it.

cruise lines have never asked me if i am bringing an AB with me. it's really never come up.
    Last edited by cass; 07-16-2006 at 06:44 PM.

Orange, I don't see why not. Of course first you need to complete your rehab and then get down a really organized home system. After that, it is just learning how to "take it on the road". Of course you have a little more equipment to bring, so first I would look at a cruise you could drive to vs. taking so much stuff on the plane, but it is possible even with the flying. Being very organized, and asking the right questions before your trip is critical.

Cass, how long ago was this? In the last few years we have gotten charged for even little things done through the ship's medical center.

(KLD)

kld,
    last summer on royal carib. maybe i got lucky.

am going again on holland in 2 weeks. i'll drop by the med office and just ask them their policy, outta curiosity. on royal carib last summer, the nurse came to my stateroom. she also gave me a number to call if i needed anything else.
    Last edited by cass; 07-16-2006 at 09:24 PM.