Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: any attendants up for travel?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Orange, I don't see why not. Of course first you need to complete your rehab and then get down a really organized home system. After that, it is just learning how to "take it on the road". Of course you have a little more equipment to bring, so first I would look at a cruise you could drive to vs. taking so much stuff on the plane, but it is possible even with the flying. Being very organized, and asking the right questions before your trip is critical.
    (KLD)

Thanks for your thoughts on it. Much more positive than my nurse I know I am getting ahead of myself by asking such questions. My immediate goals are much more humble lol. I've spent the past 6 months dwelling on what I can't do right now. Reading here how people are travelling and doing other things they enjoy is helping me feel a bit more optimistic.

Sorry for highjacking the thread. To get it back on topic: the reason I asked was one of the nurses here just returned from a cruise. She was very impressed at how accessible the cabins and decks were. She has been showing pictures to people here in rehab who are interested in travelling. I'll have to ask her what line it was.

Thanks Susy for the info and link. That's so great for them! I was quite excited when I saw the pictures of the ship and asked if she thought I might be able to go on a cruise eventually. I don't think she meant to be so flippant with her response, but she gave me a list of reasons against it. I'll have to show her the link
    Last edited by orangejello; 07-17-2006 at 07:45 AM.

My roommate from rehab went on a cruise thru the Panama Canal. She's on a vent. That's all I know but can find out more if anybody wants.

On the subject of cruises and disability, I cannot possibly say enough good things about Disney cruises. We went on one last February (note to others: go later in summer, it was cold!!) and the accessibility was amazing. We paid the normal rate for a cabin with a small deck and told them we required a roll in shower and room for his powerchair. The room was got was HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE. It was big by *hotel* standards, much less cruise standards. I went to my parents room, the same rate category we had paid, and you had to turn sideways to go through various parts of the room, it was TINY! The roll in shower was actually roll-in, and was tiled with 2 shower heads - not one of those prefab plastic things that are popular in hotels these days. There wasn't one place on the ship we couldn't go and even at the spa, I received help from the staff transferring him to a massage table and then onto the "hot stone" chairs. It was amazing.

On top of it, I have a disorder called celiac disease, an autoimmune disorder that requires me to follow a very strict diet that includes no gluten = wheat, rye or barley (translate: no bread, no pasta, no beer, no cakes, cookies, crackers, cereal, etc). It is a hard diet to cater to, but Disney cruise catered to it perfectly. It is a genetic disorder and 5 of us among 14 are celiac - they even assigned a personal chef just to the 5 of us. He cooked for us in a special area of the kitchen (uncontaminated by gluten) and made us celiac-friendly versions of things like pancakes that I can never have. It was fantastic.

The downside? It's very, very, very Disney. I am personally not a "disney person" myself, so it was a little dopey to be amongst all the disney stuff. But, it was super family friendly and you didn't have to shield your husband and 5 year old son's eyes from 500 hot young chickes wearing thongs bathing suits, lol! [note: this may be a downside to the original poster ]

Chad has been on a Royal Carribean cruise before he met me and it was not nearly as accomodating he said. The room was very small, although acceptable, and the shore transfers were generally not accessible. Oh, I forgot to mention that all Disney cruises stop at their island - Castaway Cay. It is amazingly beautiful and best of all, 100% accessible, right down to providing tons of beach wheelchairs so you can roll right down into the water. Again, note: do not go in February! LOL!

Anyway, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents about Disney cruises. We'll certainly go again when we can afford it again.

Ami
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Another thought for kritter74 - try posting on your local craigslist to find interested people.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

my cruise staterooms have always been huge.

on another note, ppl actually retire on cruiseships! no lie. i met one last year on royal carib. and here is the "proof" from snopes! in my case, it was indeed an elderly lady and she lives on the ship.

http://www.snopes.com/travel/trap/retire.asp

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    My roommate from rehab went on a cruise thru the Panama Canal. She's on a vent. That's all I know but can find out more if anybody wants.
    Thats so awesome. THE PANana canalhas been on my trip list for a longtime. i am glad you told me about this! ISENSe that any travel is a long way off but maybe i could call onyou for some info later on? Ihope you are feeling beter
    cheers
    oerange