Thread: Findings from First Participant in Cyberkinetics' BrainGate Study Published in Nature

Findings from First Participant in Cyberkinetics' BrainGate Study Published in Nature

Through funding from the National Center for Medical Rehabilitation Research and the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Cyberkinetics is working with collaborators at Case Western Reserve University and the Cleveland FES Center (Functional Electrical Stimulation) to develop a neuroprosthesis designed to work with the BrainGate System to restore partial arm and hand function to individuals with paralysis caused by spinal cord injury.

Robo-Crip.

this would be so cool for us high quads

This project is a long way out

From what I understand from the company, I know them they are located not too far from where I live.

This or something like it was broadcast today on BBC World. Yay! Scott.

I wonder why it will help the upper body, but not the lower? Too far to transmit?

It could be used to move lower body parts too, but would not make sense

Quote Originally Posted by hollster
    I wonder why it will help the upper body, but not the lower? Too far to transmit?
    The main goal of this project is to get high level quads who have no other means of movement to move their arms for even a little bit of function through the use of FES. Electrode pads would have to be placed on muscle groups on the arms in order to do this, internal wiring is a mistake as has been proven in the past due to rejection and infection. At best, it would be jerky movements and for the most part probabley non functional I hate to say. If a person who had upper body movement wanted to initiate lower level motor response it could simply be done by activating upper body muscles to activate lower body muscles through a FES interface as has been done in the past, there would be no need to go through a brain implant for the sensor. To me what makes more sense even for a high level quad would be to activate arm FES pads through sip and puff or a chin control.

To me, Cyberkinetics should be focusing more on their other project through Andura and Dr. Borgens with the OFS implant, I think that holds much more promise than does Braingate, I was about to go to work on the Braingate project and I am glad I did not now, I think there are much more promising things out there to be working on.

In my opinion, the only people this device would really be useful for is someone who could not use a sip and puff, mouthstick or chin control. Hopefully for those people especially, regenerative therapies will be most useful, those are the people who can most benefit from nerve regeneration and could gladly have my place ahead of the line when it comes.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 07-12-2006 at 11:48 PM.

Curt I'm going to have to look up some of the terminology you just used and then I might understand better. I get the basic concept but I'm lost in the details.