Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pasta Sauce.

Pasta Sauce.

So I admit it. I cheat. I take a can of Primo Hot n' Spicey pasta sauce and add things to it. A can of drained Aylmer diced tomatoes, fresh oregano pieces grown outside my door, fresh sliced mushrooms, chopped white onion, salt and white pepper and three small cloves of minced garlic. Along with some lean ground beef. That's my sauce for spaghetti, penne, lasagna etc.

My momma was not Italian and my father the farmer liked only meat and potatoes with vegetable, lol. David is British - you know - the bangers and mushy peas bit ..

So ... how do you make pasta sauce from scratch?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Lynnifer.....thats not made from scratch????? I thought if you opened the jar it is considered home made..LOL I make it the same way.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Use to make it from scratch, but now I do pretty much what you do Lynnifer, I start with Don Pepino base and add fresh minced garlic, basil, oregano, and splenda. I dont add meat or pork as all of our sauce goes on meatball, sausage and chicken parmgiana subs and such (I own a deli)

The reason I stopped making scratch was because it took 12-13 hours to simmer and then you had to use a sieve to strain. I used a 10 gallon pot to make it and it would last about 2 weeks. Its also cheaper to do what I'm doing now, as I dont have to use 12-13 hours of natural gas to simmer and I'm happy with the taste.

I'll post the recipe for scatch, its at the store.

JimmyMack
    JimmyMack
    Member: New Jersey Commission on Spinal Cord Reasearch
    http://www.state.nj.us/health/spinalcord/index.shtml

lynn take it from a italain girl lol ...first i always use redpack crushed tomato sauce. If you cant find redpack use any brand this has a italain name. take 1 onion med size cut up small get a pot put olive oil in it cover the bottom of pot with the oil make it get hot then add onion. Make onion get soft [mushy] dont burn it.then add can of sauce blend 2 cloves of garlic with parsley and add that to the sauce. let cook at least half hour always stirring it then add fresh basil 2 leaves and let simmer for 15 minn. more. Keep flame on low. any questions just ask anty
    Be always determined in Life and Love

You're almost there- here's how I do it, but I'm not Italian
    chop an onion and a bell pepper, then cook over medium heat for a few minutes, until they get soft, but not browned. Add your garlic and meat (I use a mix of ground beef and an Italian sausage or two.) Brown the meat, then add some tomato sauce and your diced tomatoes. Season to taste with oregano, rosemary (just a little), a bay leaf, some thyme, or a good palmful of Italian herbs from a jar. If you like heat, add a little bit of red pepper. Simmer for a bit, and if it's too thin, add some tomato paste. This is when you get the grease off the top. It sounds like you're using the canned stuff in place of plain old tomato sauce. I use just sausage if I'm making lasagna (AKA the easiest company dish I know).
    For lasagna, layer sauce, noodles, cheese til the pan's full, bake until the middle bubbles (about 45 minutes at 350*), take it out and let set for about fifteen minutes before serving. For cheese, I use ricotta mixed with an egg and some parsley, some Italian cheese mix, and extra parmesan. End your layers with sauce, then some parm on top. Salad and garlic bread, and you can get away with something like sorbet for dessert, and everyone thinks you're another Rachel Ray.

I sit here with sticky garlic fingers and white onion tears ... 13hrs!?!?

It's got to be good ... I like your recipe Anty and am going to try that. I like your lasagna receipe too lass ... sounds great!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Here's how a real cheater does it:

"Chef Boy-Howdy Spaghetti sauce"

1 lb ground chuck
    1 small green bell pepper, chopped
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 can Del Monte diced tomatos w/basil & garlic
    1 can crushed tomatos
    1 jar sliced mushrooms
    1 jar Ragu pizza sauce
    salt & pepper, garlic powder to taste
    1 teaspoon sugar

brown ground beef with onion, bell pepper
    add tomatos, seasoning, mushrooms
    simmer 20 mins

lynnifer...

i'll have to get back with u on this one...i never write down what i do. i guess i got that from mom...lol i've got a good sauce...or at least that's what some friends and family have told me.

ok lynnifer it wasn't that hard...i just needed the size of cans i used.

4 x 14 1/2 oz delmonte stewed tomatoes w/ basil, garlic & oregano
    2 x 15 oz contadina sauce
    4 x 6 oz contadina paste w/ roasted garlic
    1 lb. hamburger
    3 lbs. sweet italian sauage ( the guys love italian sausage )
    3 tablespoons italian seasoning...i use mccormick
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    3 tablespoons parmesan
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 sprinkle baking soda
    olive oil
    fill cans of paste w/ water after emptying to clean all out

i like to use the paste and stewed tomatoes w/ the seasoning added already. it really does add a kick to the sauce, but if u prefer a milder sauce go w/ the plain.

the largest pot u've got if i'm gonna go through doing this i want to at least have some to freeze for other meals. pour small amount of olive oil to brown sausage in pot. once browned remove and set to side. now take hamburger and brown. u might want to drain some of the oil off from the meats...but leave some for sauce in pot. then add all sauces and paste. when pouring in the stewed tomatoes u should crush w/ hand...yes it's messy. now add seasoning...italian, garlic & parm. bring to slight boil...u don't want to burn the sauce so watch carefully. after u've brought to boil add sugar and baking soda. baking soda takes the acid out of the sauce...just a sprinkle. it will bubble so don't freak stir good...now add sausage. sit back and relax stirring occasionally.
    Last edited by stormie427; 07-14-2006 at 09:08 AM. Reason: forgot the water

bump!
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane