Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you carry a urinal

Yeah, that is kinda gross carrying that around. I use those touchless kits when out, dump the gloves and sticks out of them to make them more compact, then have a baggie with some wipes to use. I have a small fanny pack for wallet, phone, etc and usually stuff 4 or 5 of the kits in when at work, less when out elsewhere. I like Mentor brand, much less flimsy than the others I've tried. Get a script for them and they come pretty cheap when you dont have to pay for them. My doc just made an Rx for 100 of the kits and 240 of standard caths a month and my insurance has been happily paying for them for several years now. Scary thinking how much it costs to pee though.

Smile

The only place I've seen a portable urinal is www.rolli-moden.com. They have very small portable ones.

Since I have a mitrofanoff, I have found that regular baby bottle liners (Evenflo, Playtex, Gerber) work great to catch the urine in. All I do is drop the end of the catheter into the liner and the urine flows into that. When I'm done, I just empty it out and throw the liner away. A standard 8oz baby bottle works good too, but needs to be washed out after every use.

Jessie

I bought a ton of $1 sports bottles from the "one spot" at target. I'll use it for a couple of weeks (rinsing it out every time) and then chunk it after a few weeks.

Urinals are nasty and kinda weird to have on you. Water bottles...not so much.
    "Your love is just the antidote when nothing else will cure me" ~Sarah McLachlan

Quote Originally Posted by carbar
    try cathing into a ziplok bag (at home first) to see if that could work - that way you can just empty it out into the toilet and then throw the bag away. no need for the urinal. I have to admit I haven't tried that myself, but have heard of others who have - successfully.
    I have. I use more ziplock bags than anyone I know. It is the best. When I go out, i put ziplock bags, a small gel tube and mentor 450's on my pouch and it takes me seconds to prepare them. I use the zip lock bag 100% of the time, they are cleaner and do not carry the bacteria of reusing a urinal. At night, I zip it and put it on my night table until the next morning. Only had minor leaks once or twice in almost three years.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

yup, everyday. i dont cath. so i carry it in my backpack. no biggie
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I keep a backpack on the back of my wheelchair at all times. I make sure I buy one that has at least 2 big zipper compartments. In one of the compartments I keep my catheters, lubricating jelly, a zippered plastic bag containing rubber gloves, and an empty coke or water bottle. In the other compartment I keep other items like drinking water, sunglasses case, address book, or whatever I may doing that day. I keep the two zippers in different locations so I can reach around without turning around, grab all my cathing supplies, set them on my lap, pee and be on my way. Once I finish I kind of fold up the used catheter and the catheter package into my gloved hand, pull the glove off inside out so it makes disposal neat and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Purk
    I keep a backpack on the back of my wheelchair at all times. I make sure I buy one that has at least 2 big zipper compartments. In one of the compartments I keep my catheters, lubricating jelly, a zippered plastic bag containing rubber gloves, and an empty coke or water bottle. In the other compartment I keep other items like drinking water, sunglasses case, address book, or whatever I may doing that day. I keep the two zippers in different locations so I can reach around without turning around, grab all my cathing supplies, set them on my lap, pee and be on my way. Once I finish I kind of fold up the used catheter and the catheter package into my gloved hand, pull the glove off inside out so it makes disposal neat and easy.

haha! don't forget that "glove snap" you do!

ah, the joys of web cams....good thing that's all we saw!
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

I bought a ton of $1 sports bottles from the "one spot" at target. I'll use it for a couple of weeks (rinsing it out every time) and then chunk it after a few weeks.

Urinals are nasty and kinda weird to have on you. Water bottles...not so much.

Same here JDR. That's what I've been doing for 20 years. Rinse it out with soap and hot water after each time, only takes a few seconds...and slips into the pack I wear on the back of my chair. If it starts to smell, chuck it and get another one.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    haha! don't forget that "glove snap" you do!

ah, the joys of web cams....good thing that's all we saw!
    Ohhh right, thanks for the reminder, lol. I have found that once you master the art of cathing, most people are so busy and/or doing their own thing, that you can cath just about anywhere without being detected. Just be careful of the dreaded "SNAP"!!!.......it will give you away every time.

I've never used gloves, only water/soap...guess I've been lucky so far.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!