Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: any disabled mom's out there?

46 yr. old mom to Jacob, I'm c5-6 incomplete, Jake is now 17, he's AB thank God, he was 11 when I broke my neck. Now I also have Graves' disease, a thyroid condition caused by my immune system going into overdrive when I get stressed.

Teenagers are stressful...

I took a lil vacation from motherhood for 6 weeks, and I missed that boy so bad. It felt like amputation. He told me last night that everything will be OK, because he prayed for me while I was gone.

Yep, I am 15 years post with a 14 year old and an 8 year old, both with disabilities. My 14 yo had been on life supports/high tech for his first 8+ years of life. Today he does great and only the really trained eye would know.

It gets easier in someways, harder in others. You have your age to your advantage as I am just shy of double your age.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Cool

Man, I'm a little stressed right now. In exactly 1 week, Emma will go in for surgery to have a mitrofanoff urinary diversion put in. Though she doesn't seem to worried about it (she's only 3), I'm a nervous werck. Her younger sister, Angela (who's 19 months) will be staying with my parents during Emma's hospital stay. The hospitla is allowing me to stay the entire time Emma's in the hospital.

So far, Emma and Angela have been helping me pack 3 suitcases for the little expedition. Man, Emma wants to bring every stuffed animal she owns to the hospital! I had to explain to her that she couldn't, so she has decided on her Madam'e Blueberry toy (anyone who watches those VeggieTales viedo's knows this character). She's also going to bring a couple books with her. The only thing Emma's upset about is that she can't wear Grover to the hospital. She has a fitted cloth diaper with Grover on it, and the hospital won't allow her to wear cloth diapers during her stay. I've tried to explain to her that she can wear the Pampers Easy-Ups that have Dora The Explorer on them, but she's still annoyed.

One good thing about this surgery is that it will be a much bigger help when Emma starts school next year. I've had a hell of a time trying to find a preschool that would accept her because of all her medical problems. She has a good IQ, but some preschools are a little leary of having her there. Anyway, Emma has told the doctor several times that she will be able to "pee-pee like Momma" when the surgery is done, so I think she will do okay.

Just thought I'd let you mommies know about this. Have a nice day!

Jessie

Quote Originally Posted by awakenow
    I'm probably the oldie here. Post-SCI 8 yrs this mo., my three range from 18 to mid-20s.

(Edited out unnecessary & personal stuff I typed when sad.)
    Keeping up with you. Almost 18 months post with kids 15, 18, 20 and 23!

I am sure the surgery will go well. I think I read somewhere that it was developed initially for children? (Not sure of that tho). It is so nice that the hospitals allow up to be with our children now. When one of mine was having surgery my mom told me of when my sister had surgery for a hernia at age 1. Not only was my mom not able to be with her, but she had to wean her as well.

Your Emma sounds like such a bright and special child.
    Last edited by sjean423; 11-21-2006 at 04:39 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I am a wheelin mom to 8 month old Tristan. I am a T3 para and he was 3 months old when I was in a ATV accident.....I agree with the others, you are amazing and I commend you! I dont know that I could be where I am now without my husband. I would love to chat anytime if you are available. Please email me at kellyrn22@adelphia.net.

Carolyn is 17 months post tomorrow; our kids are 20, 25, 27.
    3 and 4 are the most wonderful years, IMHO.
    - Richard

Cool

Weaning won't be a problem with my girls. The hospital knows that Emma is still a nursing toddler and respects that. So, they are going to let me use a Medela hospital-grade breast pump while I'm there to pump for Emma and Angela. This way, I won't have to bring my own pump with me (I have a Medela Pump In Style breastpump). Emma won't be able to have any of the breastmilk for 1-2 days after surgery, but at least my supply will still be there when she wants to nurse. My Mom is going to bring Angela with her the day after Emma's surgery to see how us two are doing, so I'll be able to give Mom some bags of pumped milk for Angela to have while she's at her grandma's house.

Jessie

single mom since his birth, c7, post 6 yrs sci (when he was born), working, cared for him with some help until age 2 or so. changed diapers, fed him, etc. any ?, ask! btw, no, i don't have use of fingers. he is now 14 and a much bigger pain than a baby

I am a single mother too, 36 years post, t12. My children are 24, 21 and 10. Only the ten year old is living with me, the big ones live by themselfes.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Single mom 2 yrs post (T-10) with a 15 YO son. He doesn't live with me now and that's probably the worst part of my ^$% injury.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.