Thread: Vibrations affecting bladder

Vibrations affecting bladder

It seems that any time I'm wheeling over a brick-layered area/sidewalk, the vibrations from the wheelchair going over that kind of surface almost immediately result in my feeling the urge to pee even if my bladder is less than half full. It drives me nuts because it seems like most of the time, there is not a restroom to be found on such occasions or it confuses my senses as I second-guess whether I really need to cath or if that urge would just go away if things down there calmed down.

Does anyone else experience this?

Yep, same here. Where I go for rehab, the 3 blocks before the hospital are all cobblestone. This is while in the car. I have a 45 minute drive. I am fine until I hit the cobblestones. Then it takes all I have to get into the building without having an accident. I have tried not drinking until I arrive, etc. but nothing has done the trick so far.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Yea me too. haha try driving 4 miles up a dirt road everyday! At least I know im only 4 miles from home when the bouncing starts anyway. Never had an accident as a result of this, but usually by the time I get home im bouncing up & down in my chair wishing I could cross my legs cause I feel like im going to explode.
    Don't think of yourself as an ugly person, just a beautiful monkey.
    Always remember: if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Yep, same here. I prepare before hand, even cath before I leave the house....and

get two miles down the road and oh...no....here it comes again.
    Sure gets maddening after while. arrrgghh
    Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

This is common not only in those with SCI, but in ABs. Ask anyone who has taken a ride on a washboard road in a stiffly shocked vehicle!

Vibration causes more sensory input to your bladder, which in turn triggers a reflex arc in your spinal cord that makes the bladder contract or spasm, which is why you feel the urge to void or leak during these times. With the SCI it is worse as you cannot use the inhibitory nerves from the brain to shut off this reflex as ABs can (usually) do.

(KLD)