Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: extract of Lion’s Mane mushrooms to stimulate nerve growth.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract
    The influence of Hericium erinaceus extract on myelination process in vitro.

Sounds interesting Manouli

Quote Originally Posted by manouli
    Hey guys, I heard that an extract of Lion’s Mane mushrooms (Hericium erinaceus), a medicinal mushroom believed to stimulate nerve growth. I'm gonna buy it and give it a try. It is nontoxic. Dr. Weil said to the mother of a quad who ask him on line that it might help. I can get Lion’s Mane in extract form from Fungi Perfecti (www.fungi.com). Follow the dosing directions on the product. Anyone of you have heard of this? I let you know of any improvement.manouli
    You never know, it probabley has never been tried, just like certain things I am planning on trying. It would be simply amazing if we were to develop our own cures, it might be the only way it is gonna happen. It is possible a certain combination of things will help out, for example possibley the lions mane extract in combination with 4ap and electro-accupuncture treatment and intensive exercise such as FES and easy glider 6000 walking. Before doing these things though it is important to make sure they are safe, for example could lions mane and 4ap be a bad combination? My main problem is trying to make the time to do research on these things and then put the wheels in motion and try them while trying to maintain accurate records.

I strongly suggest that people *not* to try various herbs and other treatments without more evidence or rationale. Many herbs are not innocuous and may have side-effects. If there was real credible evidence that an herb is effective, you may want to consider it but this is pure hype and it is nonsense to try it just for the sake of trying something. That kind of thinking is similar to going into a pharmacy and saying that you will just try different drugs until something works. The chances that you will get better from the treatment are very low, and the chances of having some side-effect that you will regret are fairly high. This is not a good benefit:risk ratio. Please don't do it.

Wise.

Curt, I have been considering giving myself vitamin B injections for
    a while. Not for my spinal cord injury, but for my lower motor neuron
    injury.

I too have read about many different natural nerve treatments, but
    never anything about mushrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    I strongly suggest that people *not* to try various herbs and other treatments without more evidence or rationale. Many herbs are not innocuous and may have side-effects. If there was real credible evidence that an herb is effective, you may want to consider it but this is pure hype and it is nonsense to try it just for the sake of trying something. That kind of thinking is similar to going into a pharmacy and saying that you will just try different drugs until something works. The chances that you will get better from the treatment are very low, and the chances of having some side-effect that you will regret are fairly high. This is not a good benefit:risk ratio. Please don't do it.

Wise.
    Thanks for saying this, as I was considering trying yet another faint hope and conjecture type of treatment. I have a cupboard full on herbal supplements and potions that I have collected over the years, some of which left me wired like a bunny on crack and a day to flush the crap out of my system.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young

Wise.

Thank you Dr. Young, I won't take it. We have to find natural ways to improve our paralysis, everything else is so slow and life too short. I care for my friends here i know what they go through and if i find something that it might help i like them to see it too. I've got this article that i think is worth reading it. I wish that they can speed up and help us out i am tire of sitting down.

Herbal Medicine for Physical Disability

Laurance Johnston, Ph.D.

http://www.healingtherapies.info/herbal.htm

I found more recent research paper: http://ecam.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/neq062

It looks interesting. There's nothing about curing paralysis, but improving nerve growth would be a start in the right direction, don't you think? There are more citations off the wikipedia site for Hericium erinaceus, with most of the research being done in Asia. It has been used for a long time in TCM, so toxicity and side effects are pretty much known. It's an edible mushroom, not just medicinal. So tastes a little like lobster sauteed with some butter...

Quote Originally Posted by cloudswinger View Post
    I found more recent research paper: http://ecam.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/neq062

It looks interesting. There's nothing about curing paralysis, but improving nerve growth would be a start in the right direction, don't you think? There are more citations off the wikipedia site for Hericium erinaceus, with most of the research being done in Asia. It has been used for a long time in TCM, so toxicity and side effects are pretty much known. It's an edible mushroom, not just medicinal. So tastes a little like lobster sauteed with some butter...
    Sounds OK, even if only from a culinary viewpoint. This is a recent post on a pretty old thread. I note that the suggestion to take large amounts of vitamins is not a bad thing. That's questionable: it is very possible to overload on vitamin A, and virtually impossible for vitamin C. The latter is highly water soluble, and excreted with urine. A is not soluble at all, and there is a slow accumulation in the liver that can cause damage.

Another thing to remember is that without trace elements there function can be not as good. We tend to forget that zinc, chromium and other transition elements are required. Also to be borne in mind is that these substances can complex with caffein and flush out with urine. I knew there must be a reason to hate Coke and pepsi.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.