Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sensation Question

Sensation Question

A little while ago I peed on myself for the first time in about 2 weeks or so. It was weird though because I found out that I did because I felt the wetness. I was sitting in my bed and playing a game with some friends and after they left I noticed that I felt a 'wetness' in my butt crack region. I thought nothing of it at first and just went back to what I was doing and then I scooted back to get comfortable and felt the wetness more thoroughly. So I reached do and touched the outside of my boxers to check and see if I had a bowel movement and I noticed that my boxers were wet. So I checked and noticed that my condom catheter had came off due to penile retraction. My question is: Why did I feel the 'wetness'??? I noticed it and wasn't even thinking about it. I then got in my chair, took the sheets off, and put something else on my lap and proceeded to roll away when I noticed that the movement of the sheets and the something else on my lap gave me a sensation. Why does this happen only from time to time? I get some sensations occasionally and now they seem to be popping up more frequently. Does that mean anything? Also, when I'm doing my bowel program on some days when I do the digital stimulation I can some sensation from that and it's a dull sensation. What is this?

And since I made a thread I might as well ask, what is the best thing to do about penile retraction? I got some samples of the short sheath ext caths and they wouldn't have worked because my penis retracts more than that. I'm getting some of the correct size WideBrand condom caths on Tuesday. What else can I use to prevent the retraction from blowing off the condom? Thanks guys!

Sensation is an odd thing. The other day I felt more than usual that my lower back was wet after showering.

If you add the cath onto your penis right after a hot shower, your penis is probably expanded and bigger. You should probably wait until it retracts a bit and dries out before adding it.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais
    Sensation is an odd thing. The other day I felt more than usual that my lower back was wet after showering.

If you add the cath onto your penis right after a hot shower, your penis is probably expanded and bigger. You should probably wait until it retracts a bit and dries out before adding it.
    What I usually do is put some Benzoin on my penis after I take a shower and cath myself and let it air out for an hour. Then I put some skin adhesive and alittle more Benzoin on the head of my penis to make it stick to the condom more sometimes preventing retraction. Sometimes it'll work fine, sometimes it'll retract after half a day and sometimes none at all. I hate my penis lol

I suspect that since you are less than a year post injury that you are getting some sacral sparing showing up for sensation. The wet feeling was probably actually hot/cold sensation. I would recommend that you ask your physician to do another ASIA exam on you to see if you could now be considered to be ASIA B.

(KLD)

WonderDerek,
    I've read several of your posts whereby you're totally frustrated with the retraction of your penis. Believe me, I have occasional retractions but almost never while the condom is on me. Now, I only put a condom at night while I'm asleep as I cath during the day. So, here's what I do to insure that my condom doesn't slip off. First, I make sure that I put the condom on while my penis is flaccid (which for most of us SCIs, it's 99.9% of the time!!!). I roll down the condom until about an inch from the base of my penis. I then take a 10-inch piece of 3M Transparent tape and wrap it against the condom and the 1-inch space left at the base of my penis. I wrap it around my penis somewhat snug. While I cannot guarantee that it would withstand your retractions, it works very well in keeping the condom in place throughout the night. I move around frequently from side to side during the night and it has rarely failed me.

With me, the condom almost keeps my penis from retracting. The times I do get retraction is almost when I don't have a condom on. BTW, I don't use any skin adhesive like you do, just the tape and the natural adhesive the condoms have.

So, maybe you just need to secure the condom on better using something other than the adhesive because that's obviously not doing the trick.

Good luck. I know how frustrating is must be for you to always be in a state of alert, not feeling the retraction until it's too late and the damage is done.

WonderDerek,
    BTW, the transparent 3M tape I mentioned is 1" wide. Make sure your pubes are super-trimmed or shaved as you don't want hair to get anywhere near.

Derek,
    Don't hate your penis. Millions of women are in envy.

Hi WonderDerek,

After you've had a bladder infection (which causes "shrinkage" in most men) and have taken the correct antibiotics for the recommended amount of time and you know for certain that your bladder is 100% bacteria-free, do you still have the retraction problem?

When I was first injured (age 24) I couldn't put a condom catheter on without it causing me a rock-hard boner. I had to learn to gauge how tight to wrap those spongie glue-wraps around the condom cath on my penis to account for when it would go flacid. Ah, the great wonders of youthful virility!

26 years later I no longer use condom catheters (tight bladdder sphincter or enlarged prostate?) and the raging hard-ons are few and far between too. Well, maybe one or two quick reflex erections a day.... nothing worth "bragging" about!

But maybe you have a slight bladder infection or more than likely just a constant bacterial colonization that is irritating your bladder causing your penis to retract. Almost known in technical medical terms as the "Shrinkage Factor".

Is your urine non-cloudy and normal smelling?

Did you have this retraction problem before your injury?
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

bob, didn't have any retraction before the accident and I don't think I have a bladder infection although my urine is cloudy and stinks. But I don't drink enough water so I've been told that that can cause the cloudiness and smell. I'm getting some WideBrand condoms in today so I'll give those a try and see if they make a difference.

You may want to check that urine...still sounds like you have a UTI. I used to think the lack-of-water thoughts as well. That changed quick enough. I think I became an expert on UTIs over the past few months. UTIs play a role in fatigue as well.

I don't wear a bag or anything. Just cath around the time that I am supposed to. I would wear the condom cath only when I had a UTI while reflexing. The bladder is doing much better these days. Haven't had an accident in quite a while.