Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much "good" oil/fat is needed in a daily diet?

How much "good" oil/fat is needed in a daily diet?

So, after my unfortunate trial run with Lyrica leading to weight gain, I'm shedding the pounds. I'm working out, eating lean protein, lots of veggies and fruits, limited carbs, over 100 oz. h2o per day, very little if any fat, daily multivitamin. 1,000 calories a day.

When I use any fat or oil, it's olive oil for cooking, but I limit it to cooking or once in a while use a tiny amount with balsamic vinegar for salad.

Is "good" fat necessary each day? Can I dump it to further lower calories or to have additional calories for protein or veggies and fruits?

Advice appreciated. TIA.

Steam Cooker

How about substituting olive oil with sunflower oil when cooking? How is your cholesteral levels? Olive oil has a lot of saturated fat (but is still known to be a healthy oil), sunflower oil is mostly unsaturated. On the other side, you can cook using steam and avoid any extra calories from the oil.
    Last edited by Mike C; 07-09-2006 at 09:48 PM.
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose
    So, after my unfortunate trial run with Lyrica leading to weight gain, I'm shedding the pounds. I'm working out, eating lean protein, lots of veggies and fruits, limited carbs, over 100 oz. h2o per day, very little if any fat, daily multivitamin. 1,000 calories a day.

When I use any fat or oil, it's olive oil for cooking, but I limit it to cooking or once in a while use a tiny amount with balsamic vinegar for salad.

Is "good" fat necessary each day? Can I dump it to further lower calories or to have additional calories for protein or veggies and fruits?

Advice appreciated. TIA.
    I won't advance myself as an expert on this but, it's my understanding that you need a small amount of fat each day; preferably spaced evenly through your meals. The fat facilitates the distribution and use of other nutrients through your body. In fact, supplements suggesting that you take them with food are doing so because they contain potential digestive system irritants and/or because they assume the food will contain some fat which is needed if you are to get the full value of the supplement.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

I've got an inflamed thyroid and cholesterol of 102-too low. I feel like hell. You need some fats. If you just want supplementary healthy oils with out getting it in your diet, try Barlean's. They have a blend for women "of a certain age" that is amazing. (Not that Mem or I are of a certain age, mind you!)

Fats are required for cellular production, and brain function.

Fat should be as much "good" fat and make up 30% of your daily calories. Make sure you get enough calories! If you don't get enough, you actually burn less and loose much slower. You will do best if you avoid white flour and white sugar and get enough fat. Otherwise your body will try to hold on to what you have stored.
    www.weitemeyer.net

I agree with all of the above posts.

Fats are necessary, but make sure they are the "essential" fats and NOT the hydrogenated and animal fats (except some fish). Do you integrate fish into your diet? Adding a little olive, seasame (both seasoning) and peanut oils (cooking) won't hurt you.

Are you losing a lot of weight @1000 cal. a day? If you are active (esp. with increased workouts), make sure you get enough calories. You shouldn't try to restrict veggies or fruits much to save on calories. They are great for meals and snacking and really add to your feeling "full" so you won't want/need to eat as much...saving calories in the process!

Well, many of the foods you eat contain a little bit of fat, so you may be getting it from the natural whole foods (good) or from processed/pre-packaged foods (not good). Peanuts, even though they may contain good "essential" fats, roasting changes the fat with the roasting process and turns it into the hydrogenated type. So nuts eaten RAW are better (but still in limited amounts!).

Quote Originally Posted by chick
    I agree with all of the above posts.

Fats are necessary, but make sure they are the "essential" fats and NOT the hydrogenated and animal fats (except some fish). Do you integrate fish into your diet? Adding a little olive, seasame (both seasoning) and peanut oils (cooking) won't hurt you.

Are you losing a lot of weight @1000 cal. a day? If you are active (esp. with increased workouts), make sure you get enough calories. You shouldn't try to restrict veggies or fruits much to save on calories. They are great for meals and snacking and really add to your feeling "full" so you won't want/need to eat as much...saving calories in the process!

Well, many of the foods you eat contain a little bit of fat, so you may be getting it from the natural whole foods (good) or from processed/pre-packaged foods (not good). Peanuts, even though they may contain good "essential" fats, roasting changes the fat with the roasting process and turns it into the hydrogenated type. So nuts eaten RAW are better (but still in limited amounts!).
    I had no idea that roasting peanuts changed the fat they contain into hydrogenated fat.

I have been eating lots of roasted peanuts recently, thinking I was eating something super-healthy, if calorific.

Quote Originally Posted by keps
    I had no idea that roasting peanuts changed the fat they contain into hydrogenated fat.

I have been eating lots of roasted peanuts recently, thinking I was eating something super-healthy, if calorific.
    I was actually very surprised to hear this too (from a heart surgeon on T.V.).

I just thought... might there be difference in eating peanuts from IN THE SHELL, as opposed to shelled and roasted? Shelled peanuts can be roasted too, but I'm just wondering if the shell inhibits the direct roasting process effect on the nut/oil? I'm thinking it may not, but would be interesting to look further into, especially if you like peanuts - or any nuts.

I love nuts but avoid it for the most part, cuz it's sooooo hard to eat just a few.

Right on there Chick. I can´t just eat a few and save the rest.
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm steaming or grilling with a George Foreman grill. I eat fish, chicken, occasionally very lowfat beef, tons of fruits and veggies, skim milk, yogurt. When I use any oil, it's olive. No junk food.

I go organic with any healthy foods possible.

I work out a lot each day, sometimes 2X/day.

I'm not sure about the 1,000 calories/day. That may be too low for me to continue losing weight. I may load more calories every third day to keep my metabolism from slowing. Not anything ginormous, but another 250 every third day to keep my body from thinking it's starving.

My cholesterol is really low. Heart is good.

Just wondering what is and isn't essential in oil for good health.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

BTW, yes, Betheny. We are women of a certain age.