Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: After-effects of a colostomy reversal

After-effects of a colostomy reversal

I'm t5 para who is about to have a colostomy reversed and was wondering what, if any, after-effects I need to know about? I originally had the colostomy to avoid cross-contaimination of a wound area. Any info would be appreciated.

I had a colostomy reversed a couple years ago, and for about 2 months I had chronic diahreah (sp?) because the surgery (And prolly having the colostomy too) killed all the good flora in my GI tract. I don't think this is a common reaction, I was very very VERY sick at the time. But if you're not back to a normal BP pretty soon after the reversal go talk to your Dr about how to replenish all those healty cultures.
    Don't think of yourself as an ugly person, just a beautiful monkey.
    Always remember: if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Smile

I have not had a sci, but I had a colostomy about 17 years ago and had it reversed. I had diarrhea for about a week due to the antibiotics that they have to use to prevent surgical infection. Also, it takes a few days to get the whole intestine used to working again.

I would advise that you watch what you eat for a couple of weeks- try to stay away from anything that normally bothers you and also that forms gas. Also, I would talk to your doctor before you have it done to see what kind of bowel program to go on. You should start it as soon as your doctor tellls you your bowel sounds are normal.

Also, drink plenty of fluids and eat food that is high in bulk.

Good luck- you should be fine in a couple of weeks.
    CKF

Brian if you don't mind me asking... do you find you would rather go back to regular bowel program than stick with colostomy? There has been a lot of mention in threads about colostomies that people get them in situations like yours ( wound) and then decide to keep colostomy because it was easier to manage and saved a lot of time.

Since I have considered possibility of colostomy down the road, I am about same level ( t2/t3) and # of years post injury I thought I would ask.

Hope all goes well in the reversal and thanks.

ChesBay - we're kind of in the same boat. I seesaw back and forth on the surgery / subject. I've had all the consultations and have passed them but just can't seem to pull the trigger on it one way or another. More contemplation and time is needed in my case.

Damn this sci stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Chappell
    ChesBay - we're kind of in the same boat. I seesaw back and forth on the surgery / subject. I've had all the consultations and have passed them but just can't seem to pull the trigger on it one way or another. More contemplation and time is needed in my case.

Damn this sci stuff.
    I agree Chris. I guess everything is individualized... many say they only wish they had done it ( colostomy) sooner, others, I guess want to stick with standard BP.

I too have had a couple consults and talked with some old time SCI doctors who tell me wait 10 years so it is confusing.

I guess we'll know if / when the time is right?

Yes, I have an ilieostomy, due to emergency issues, and am not planning to have it reversed. I have been told that if it were reversed I might have a lot of trouble with diarrhea.

Is there a specific reason you are reversing it?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I appreciate everybody's replies. I don't have any specific reason for reversing except that my BP was fairly easy and quick (about 15 minutes in the morning m/w/f). I would prefer going back to the old way if possible. I'll admit that the colostomy does make life easier in terms of BP and its easy to maintain. For me, i just prefer not to have the colostomy. I could be singing a different tune after the reversal but lets hope not. Either way I'll post how things turn out.

I don't know if that's any help to you ChesBay but let me know what you decide.

do'nt do it

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423
    Yes, I have an ilieostomy, due to emergency issues, and am not planning to have it reversed. I have been told that if it were reversed I might have a lot of trouble with diarrhea.

Is there a specific reason you are reversing it?
    i i had my reverse about 9month's ago and it has been a liveing hell

it's been more then 9month's since i had a bowelmovemoent .belive it or not it's true and i ia'm trying too. find someone in the world tjhat will see my message and will tell me if i am the only one in the world that dose everthing that comes out throw the v. front help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!