Thread: New C1 and C2 injury...question on rehab

New C1 and C2 injury...question on rehab

HI, first I would like to say that I am glad I found this forum, I have been reading for a few days and have found a lot of the answers to the questions I had. My 17yr old neice was in a car accident a week ago. She has a crushed C1 and a broken C2 spinal injury. She is in the Boston area and we are trying to find out about rehab centers in the area and elsewhere. I know they are looking at Spaulding in Boston has anyone had any experience there? They are also looking at Shepherds in Atlanta. I would really appreciate any suggestions any of you may have.
    Thanks!

Are they predicting long-term ventilator dependence, or is she incomplete enough that she should be weanable? If she will need to be on a ventilator long term, I would recommend looking at Craig (in Denver), Shepherd in Atlanta, or Kessler in New Jersey. A Model System SCI Center is best. You can find a list here:

http://www.naric.com/research/pd/res...jury%20Systems

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 07-09-2006 at 11:18 AM.

Thanks for the response! Sorry it's taken so long for me to reply. She has a trach with ventilator. They have spoken of the phrenic nerve stimulator but I do not know when this will be done. I believe they will be sending her to Spaulding. Right now she has pneumonia and a uti. While at Spaulding they were told that she will get a wheelchair that will be activated by her breathing? I have never heard of this. I am disappointed that they haven't looked more into the other rehabs. I know how important rehab is as I have a son with a TBI and I believe if it wasn't for the rehab he was in he wouldn't be where he is today.
    Thanks again!
    Cat

Spaulding has a decent rehabilitation program, and there are some advantages to being close to home. Hopefully she will get some return...it is way too early to tell.

There are a number of different control systems for wheelchairs for those with no use of their arms. The one you are referring to is called "sip and puff". It can be done with a ventilator, as the person learns to hold air in their cheeks and either suck on a straw or puff into it to drive the chair. Is it possible to be very skilled with this (Christopher Reeve had a system like this). She should also be eventually able to talk in spite of the trach and ventilator, and use voice-controlled computer and word recognition computer programs. There are others on these forums who live at home and lead active lives even though they have such high injuries.

Please continue to post on her progress, and let us know what questions she and other family members have that we can help with.

(KLD)

Our son went to the Shepherd Center in Atlanta and I can't say enough good things about it. He received awsome care and rehab and the staff are litterally a part of our family now. We keep in touch with everybody. If you have any questions that I can answer, dont hesitate to PM me, I will be happy to give you my 2 cents. Good luck!

Thanks for the info! Jessica has gotten over pneumonia, but has been running a fever between 104 and 105. They finally did an mri last night and found she has a cyst on the brain stem. They are doing a spinal tap today to see if it can be treated with antibiotics, as the neurosurgeon said he will not go in and remove it.

They are seriously considering Shepherd Center, Someone is out there today talking with them!

Just want to say thanks again for any and all information!
    Cat