Thread: foot drop and big foot braces

where no one has gone before...SW Pennsylvania

foot drop and big foot braces

does anyone still wear these or any thing for foot drop?it seems impossible to wear any foot supports and have any bed mobility? should we even worry about footdrop , will it damage our feet?
    Please Visit My Blog at: http://queenquad.blogspot.com

But those who wait on the Lord
    Shall renew their strength;
    They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
    They shall run and not be weary,
    They shall walk and not faint
    Isaiah 40:31

I'd be curious to see what people do in the real world.

The nurse in me says that you should wear them at least some of the time. Foot drop is a problem and will occur if you don't maintain your feet in the correct position. However, I do know that those boots do make it rather difficult to have any bed mobility. I would compromise and wear them some of the time- maybe when you have assistance in turning.

CKF

That's exactly what my son does. He wears his sometimes. His left side is his weak side, so sometimes he asks me to put his boot on his left foot b/c that foot does drop a little. Or if he's taking a nap, he may ask me to put this big stuffed pillow between his foot and the footboard to keep his L foot straight.

I don't use them at all because I hated the mobility issues. BUT I am careful about ROM exercises and I stand in a stander frequently. So far I have had no problems with foot drop. (fingers crossed)
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Maybe I'm crazy, but I quit wearing mine as soon as I got home from the hospital. It's been almost five years with no foot drop. My feet stay on my foot pedals all day, which keeps them in the proper place, maybe that helps.

I have one of those cradles that raise the blankets off my feet, and with it cam a canvas thing that goes across it to hold my foot up. I find it helpful as I found the night splints and things painful as I have alot of nuro pain. I know it is not perfect, but it is the best I can do under the cercumstances.
    Disability is not a medical problem with social issues, but rather a social problem with medical issues.
    Franklin D. Rosevelt

How are things going Lori, have you been able to get some help. It's always good to see you post.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

i hate them and i don't wear them. i did for about 8months. but i stretch daily and i'm up in braces. if you don't get that kind of stuff done, i'd wear them sometimes.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Lori,

If you want to keep your body in check for the cure then DO worry about foot drop. Plus it could cause pressure issues if you developed contractures for example. Wear them once in a while and keep up your ROM. Do you stand at all?

where no one has gone before...SW Pennsylvania
    no i can't stand on my own, i don't own a standing frame, my pt has one but they don't think it's important for me to stand. i DO have foot drop, so far no contractions like in my hands. they lay flat on my foot pads all day. but they swell so bad.

jean,
    i'm alright.

thanks ladies,

lori
    Please Visit My Blog at: http://queenquad.blogspot.com

But those who wait on the Lord
    Shall renew their strength;
    They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
    They shall run and not be weary,
    They shall walk and not faint
    Isaiah 40:31