Thread: Update on Chester.

Update on Chester.

Hi everyone, It has been a long time since I have been here. If you remember our dog Chester had a tumor removed.

Chester passed away the end of May. He had the surgery, it went very very well. He got pnemonia and was almost healed of that. However, the antibiotic that the vet had him on was very very strong and he had some side effects to it. He had to go back to the vets and have his medication changed to IV meds and fluids. He reacted very well to this, at the end of the first week at the vets his pnemonia was gone and he was acting better and eating. The vet was going to keep him one or two more days and send him home. He passed away that night. The vet found that Chester had a pancreatic hemmorage (spelling) . What happens sometimes is that antibiocs along with the stress of the pnemmonia and surgery was just to much for Chester and his pancreas started to swell. Once it bursts it will poison the body very quickly.

I want to thank everyone for their support when I first posted that Chester was sick. He was an awesome service dog and mine and steven's best friend. He will be very very missed.

thanks,

Heather. SO to Steven.

Heather-
    so sorry to hear about Chester passing away....It sounds as if you did everything you could do to help keep him in the family. I'm sure he was a great companion(they always are ) and you've already expressed what a wonderful service dog he was. Will Steven be getting another service dog? Is there a group locally that will help with training one for him? I know it's soon after Chester's passing, but I also imagine that it's left a huge gap in service for Steven. Please post pics of Chester so we can all see him in his glory days. I'm sure someone will post a link to or a copy of the Rainbow Bridge poem...I've read it many times, but don't readily have it...I'm sure Chester is playing like a puppy again
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

I'm so so sorry for the way things turned out Heather .... service dogs are very special animals and I believe Chester is being well rewarded wherever he is. You were lucky to have found each other .... I know you will miss him very much .... peace!

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

I too am so sorry to hear of Chester's passing, he will be missed I'm sure.
    But as Broknwing stated above, I'm sure Chester is playing just like a
    puppy again too!

Queen
    Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

So sorry to hear about your dog. They become more than just companions. I am very close to my own dogs so I can't imagine the loss you must be feeling. I know you can never replace him but I hope you find another companion to fill Stephen's service needs soon.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

So sorry to hear the news.. Bless Chester..

My Lab (Buddy) had surgery yesterday to remove some cysts and its never easy when one of your "kids" is sick. I just hope he recovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithinme
    Hi everyone, It has been a long time since I have been here. If you remember our dog Chester had a tumor removed.

Chester passed away the end of May. He had the surgery, it went very very well. He got pnemonia and was almost healed of that. However, the antibiotic that the vet had him on was very very strong and he had some side effects to it. He had to go back to the vets and have his medication changed to IV meds and fluids. He reacted very well to this, at the end of the first week at the vets his pnemonia was gone and he was acting better and eating. The vet was going to keep him one or two more days and send him home. He passed away that night. The vet found that Chester had a pancreatic hemmorage (spelling) . What happens sometimes is that antibiocs along with the stress of the pnemmonia and surgery was just to much for Chester and his pancreas started to swell. Once it bursts it will poison the body very quickly.

I want to thank everyone for their support when I first posted that Chester was sick. He was an awesome service dog and mine and steven's best friend. He will be very very missed.

thanks,

Heather. SO to Steven.
    Heather,

I am so sorry to hear this. My service dog died February 2001 and I still miss him very much. My condolences.

Thankyou everyone for your support.

I do have a copy of the rainbow bridge poem. The vet gav it to us.

We will be getting a new puppy in September. There was a guy that Steven went to school with that saw the new coverage when we were raising money for Chesters surgery. He has a litter of golden Retrievers due on july 14. (next week) and has offered us first pick once they are weaned from their mom. So, september it will be. We are very excited about this.

We do miss Chester terribly but are doing better. Im sure we will always miss him.

There is an organization in the area that will service dog train once this pup is old enough and they will also help us puppy train him.

I will post pictures of Chester this weekend and when the new pup is born I will also post pictures of him or her..

thanks everyone!