Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alternating pulsed electro accupuncture treatment

Alternating pulsed electro accupuncture treatment

I am thinking of trying this on myself and wanted to get opinions, I really feel it is time after 25 years of no neurological changes to try something different, I am very much feeling like if I dont take the ball into my own hands at this point I am going to grow an old man as a complete paraplegic, I really need something to work towards at this point to try and regain at least some function or sensation.

Here is what I am thinking about trying, I need opinions if I am wasting my time or if there is any possible way I may see any neurological gains.

I am thinking of trying electro accupunture with the needles placed above and below my T-4 level injury, I am thinking of using alternating current fields (15 minute intervals) for one hour a day over a period of three months. I am still not sure as to levels of current and voltage to use, I am still working on the circuit to control these levels, I am planning on consulting Dr. Borgens about this. I do know they must be very low, but high enough to send current through the injury.

At the same time while I am doing this, I am thinking about orally taking a couple of known nerve growth factors those being Lithium and possibly Inosine. These two growth factors are readily available.

The third element of my therapy involves doing intensive FES bike riding for 2 hours per day and using imagery trying to pedal the bike as hard as I can while my legs are turning the crank. I plan on closing my eyes and trying with all my might to activate each muscle in my legs at each angle of the pedal stroke.

One of my main questions here is are there any containdications of Inosine and Lithium? If so maybe I will just do the Lithium only, I know Lithium is a fairly safe drug, my Grandfather was on it most of his life and he lived to be 90.

Correct me because I'm probably wrong - but isn't Lithium also used to control moods in those with bi-polar disorder? I wouldn't want to mess with it ...
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I know this doesn't answer your question about LITHIUM, but I would like to share what i have been doing.
    1. Accupuncture with electrodes connected 3 times a week for 2 hr sessions. I have 1 hr on my back where they place needles above and below my injury.
    2. accupressure 3 times a week with range of motion.
    3. stretching in the morning with bands.
    4. at least 30min of standing frame. daily
    5. at least 15-20 min of hand bike. daily (the hand bike also moves my legs)
    6. leg shaking machine http://www.1800wheelchair.com/asp/vi...roduct_id=1690
    7. EMS electric muscle stimulator 15min
    ReSpEct LiFe, For It Can ChanGe iN a SplIt SecoNd...

Be careful with Lithium.
    I know it has vision side effects.
    It can make your vision blurry.
    When you get off it, your vision goes back to normal.
    Here's a great message board site about Lithium and Bipolar.
    http://www.healthboards.com/boards/s...d.php?t=400056
    Its on the Bipolar section of the message board.

Quote Originally Posted by asiangl
    I know this doesn't answer your question about LITHIUM, but I would like to share what i have been doing.
    1. Accupuncture with electrodes connected 3 times a week for 2 hr sessions. I have 1 hr on my back where they place needles above and below my injury.
    2. accupressure 3 times a week with range of motion.
    3. stretching in the morning with bands.
    4. at least 30min of standing frame. daily
    5. at least 15-20 min of hand bike. daily (the hand bike also moves my legs)
    6. leg shaking machine http://www.1800wheelchair.com/asp/vi...roduct_id=1690
    7. EMS electric muscle stimulator 15min
    Any progress (especially with #1 & #2)?

Shawn
    Shawn (www.shawnoconnell.com)

Remember - Dare to Dream

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee
    I am thinking of trying this on myself and wanted to get opinions, I really feel it is time after 25 years of no neurological changes to try something different, I am very much feeling like if I dont take the ball into my own hands at this point I am going to grow an old man as a complete paraplegic, I really need something to work towards at this point to try and regain at least some function or sensation.

Here is what I am thinking about trying, I need opinions if I am wasting my time or if there is any possible way I may see any neurological gains.

I am thinking of trying electro accupunture with the needles placed above and below my T-4 level injury, I am thinking of using alternating current fields (15 minute intervals) for one hour a day over a period of three months. I am still not sure as to levels of current and voltage to use, I am still working on the circuit to control these levels, I am planning on consulting Dr. Borgens about this. I do know they must be very low, but high enough to send current through the injury.

At the same time while I am doing this, I am thinking about orally taking a couple of known nerve growth factors those being Lithium and possibly Inosine. These two growth factors are readily available.

The third element of my therapy involves doing intensive FES bike riding for 2 hours per day and using imagery trying to pedal the bike as hard as I can while my legs are turning the crank. I plan on closing my eyes and trying with all my might to activate each muscle in my legs at each angle of the pedal stroke.

One of my main questions here is are there any containdications of Inosine and Lithium? If so maybe I will just do the Lithium only, I know Lithium is a fairly safe drug, my Grandfather was on it most of his life and he lived to be 90.
    Curt, DO NOT Do lithium on your own. The toxic dose of the drug is very close the effective dose. You need to work with a doctor and have lithium levels determined in the blood.

Wise.

You plan to electrocute yourself??? Well, be careful with AC as well, don’t know the Hz you will apply but frequencies close to your hearth rhythm can interfere with your hearth rhythm. I.e. this is also why your house frequency (60Hz) is not one of the best. And in fact, just a few milliamps are required do disturb the hearth as long as the frequency is unfavourable as for the hearth rhythm.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    Curt, DO NOT Do lithium on your own. The toxic dose of the drug is very close the effective dose. You need to work with a doctor and have lithium levels determined in the blood.

Wise.
    Despite its possible benefits in the case of SCI an Bi-Polar syndrome, isn't lithium also used in fertilizer? Not to be played around with I think. Be careful Curt.

Thumbs up words of inspiration for us all, thanks.

Dr. Wise,

Is it true that China SCI is using Lithium in there first clinical trials and plan to use this in combination with _________? In anycase, i do not feel that there are to many doctors in the USA that are aware of this *new* approach, therefore it would be impossible to find someone who could help Curt.?. Due to the fact that lithium is easily available what would you advice for us to do as it is imparative that we do do something as opposed to wait around for many, many more years? thanks.

Curt- So i have been told that acupuncture does not work on SCI patients because it does not go through the nerves as we all tend to think as it more so goes through the muscles, bizarre i know... Anyway, it would be of upmost importance to get the right current fields as it just might do something?!? I too have tried this approach with Dr. Bohbot and feel it was intriguing/helpful. Good luck and let us know what happens!

The intense FES bike training is important, yet i feel you are heading into this very head strong and perhaps two hours is a little much for everyday use. I also use a FES bike and am cautious as if an AB person has issues with one then why wouldn't it also hurt me, no matter if i can feel it or not. I simply feel that you are leaving out some of the most important components for yourself. I have a few questions. Do you have a standing frame? Do you have access to a swimming pool as this is important beyond words and yes the sun is good for bone density. An excellent diet is a key component and if i where you i would try to slowly move into a pair of leg braces as i think you could do it if you haven't already. One more thing, massage therapy and i am sooooo not kidding around here. Don't hesitate to PM me regarding a good piece of equipment. Also, have you ever tried the total gym, i think this is a very good investment as i can push my body weight up and then collapse my knees, (need to get with the program on this one)...SIGH

It is posts of hope such as this that inspire me to remind myself that it is critical to stay in tip-top shape as i do believe we are on the horizon of finding that stinkin cure for this catastrophic injury... Please let us know and i will let you know what i find out in the near future regarding primate studies...

Oh yeah, fly to me and i can show ya a few things that will blow your mind regarding your abilities, seriously! After traveling the world in search of a cure, i still am not done.... So not kidding around!!!

Godspeed for a cure~
    Susan Fajt
    Godspeed~
    Susan
    www.sciwalker.com

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Fajt
    Curt.?. Due to the fact that lithium is easily available what would you advice for us to do as it is imparative that we do do something as opposed to wait around for many, many more years?
    I think it could be a good idea that we all starts to experiment on ourselves, for one thing we will fill up the hospitals with thousands of SCI people and thereby some has to take it serious. Personally I’m gonna look into high voltage and nitro-glycerine as a combo.
    Last edited by Leif; 07-03-2006 at 07:55 AM.