Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: big toe is red

big toe is red

Not swollen, but warmer than usual. I don't think it's a pressure sore or anything like that. The whole toe is just, well, red, compared to normal fleshy colour. No abrasions or anything like that. It's been like this for 2 days now. Should I be worried?
    Daniel

Dan,

is it red aroudn the toe nail? Like the side of the toe? You might be having the start of an ingrown toe nail which could lead ot infection and they are quite painful if they get soar enough. Also it could just be the shoes your wearing might be too tight aroudn that area, try wearing sandals for a few days to see if it goes away
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Dan, I'd suggest the same as Mr Coffee - ingrowing toenail. I get these lots, and the first sign is redness of the toe next to the ingrowing bit.

Try gently squeezing your toe next to the nail - if any pus comes out, or your foot jumps - it is 100% an ingrower.

Let us know how you get on.

Dan:

The group is probably right- however, I would suggest that you get yourself to a podiatrist. If it is ingrown, they can remove it for you and if it's something else, they can let you know.

In the meantime, I would watch it carefully- keep the pressure off of it.

BTW- are you running a fever or having increase in spasms. Either of those could tell you that you might have an infection in the nailbee.

Get it checked out.

CKF

Hey Dan, is your toe a bright red like it's rubbing against something? About a year ago my toes started turning brown. I called my Doc and told him they were purple and he had me come right in. He took one look at them and said they aren't purple - they are brown. The brown color is caused by blood cells dying in my toes when they are swollen. I later went to the VA and they told me the same thing. Now just about all of my toes are brown. Not sure if your feet swell any. Please let us know how this turns out.

Mike
    T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

The more I look at it, the more it looks like, under the toenail, it's slightly purplish/bruised. This might very well be the case, as I have stepped on my big toe and that part of the foot several times in the past few days.

If this is what happened, what's the treatment? Will the bruise heal on its own?

I'm on the other side of the country from my normal doctors and don't know even where to go find a podiatrist here in San Jose. Do I need to find one with SCI experience?

~dan
    Daniel

If you keep the pressure off the bruise should heal on it's own. However, keep an eye on it. The bruising and swelling can cause it's own set of problems and may need to be drained.

I would call Santa Clara Valley Medical Center and see if they can refer you to a podiatrist- preferably one with sci. They are a major center for sci.

CKF

CKF, I saw a doctor today. She doesn't think it's too serious. It's a little red and a little warm. If it doesn't go away, she prescribed keflex & to touch base with her if the situation changes.

~dan
    Daniel

sounds like an ingrowing toenail to me. I get them abit. Damn annoying. make sure you cut them straight across and not cut into a curve and leave the edges. You could of knocked it coz if its warm it means its trying to heal.

dan nc:

Thanks for letting me know the scoop. It's hard to give advice sometimes without seeing what is wrong.

I think that you did the right thing- better safe than sorry.

CKF