Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Standing chair or standing frame?

Standing chair or standing frame?

After way too many months, my wife has finally started outpatient rehab at the local hospital. I've been worried about osteoporosis & have been wanting to get her in to a standing frame: she hasn't been vertical for 9 months (and then it was for 10 minutes only, in the big city rehab unit). Well, turns out that the rehab facility in our small town doesn't even have a standing frame. So rather than wait more months, I think I'd better buy one myself.
    Then I got to thinking about a standing chair, instead. Yes, lots more $$, but it ought to give her a lot more freedom and independence (for example in the kitchen), whereas a standing frame would be just another piece of equipment taking up room most of the time. She is T-5 complete but has little upper arm strength, so probably a full power chair would be needed. I'll probably be able to get some assistance in fitting her from a PT, but the people around here have little or no experience with SCI.
    Do any of you have recommendations?
    - Richard

I have a manual Levo SAE standing chair. What would you like to know?
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

I see there's a parallel thread.
    Anyway, thanks for the reply. I have several questions.
    Exactly how does one move to the standing position in a manual chair like you have, paramoto? Pull on a lever, pump a handle?
    What don't you like about it?
    I find it difficult to get a a straight answer about costs.
    If they're that great, why aren't standing chair more common?

Main reason I'm interested is that my wife can't transfer solo, so there's limited time in the evening for me to work with her on something like a standing frame (in addition to the household tasks & her BP); if she were settled in a standing chair in the morning then she could do the standing bit periodically throughout the day while I'm at work.
    - Richard

Richard-
    I've posted in a couple other threads about my Levo standing chair as well...I only use it for special events/concerts/etc....It weighs a lot(approx 10lbs more than my every day chair) that is my complaint about it. I don't use it daily b/c of this....I did get it specifically for special events, concerts and the such... It has side guards that have buttons that control pneumatic cylinders that lift the seat into the standing position. I know this isn't a great description, but it's the best way I can describe it right now.....I've promised to get pics taken of me in it....I need to do that soon...It takes me about 3 pumps to get to a standing position. For me, it's more difficult to sit back down than it is to stand... I think I've described it better in the past, sorry I'm not doing a good job right now....
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

i use a superstand. my injury is c5 so i chose their half power.
    i've used mine for around 11 years and have never a problem.
    my ins funded it also. www.thestandingcompany.com

rfb, brokn pretty much described it. You put a padded knee strap and something you might call a seat belt on your mid chest. And then the arm rests become hydraullic lift pumps. It takes three pumps and in time it become easy to go up 90 or 95%. You feel a nice stretch.

On the negative side, My chair weighs a lot more than 10 pounds than my regular chair. It is bigger and more cumbersome. I haven´t gotten used to the standing position, I still find the standing frames more comfortable when standing. It may be very good for home use to cook, closet, etc. but it is not as practical as the manufacturers would like you to believe. Since it has a lot of moving parts, more attention has to be paid to maintenance.

Then there is the cost. I paid US$6,250.00 for mine at Coral Reef Medical in Miami. If I had the choice I would take that money back. I would sell mine at a three thousand dollar loss after two years or so of use. So, I am not thrilled with it.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Standing Frame Is Much Better Imo
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Clearly these are things to be seen & tried before committing oneself!
    But that process seems to be difficult, at least with our providers here.
    Thanks for the help & info, folks.
    Fuentejps - could you be more specific?
    - Richard

Quote Originally Posted by swany
    i use a superstand. my injury is c5 so i chose their half power.
    i've used mine for around 11 years and have never a problem.
    my ins funded it also. www.thestandingcompany.com
    swany, you post so much about your superstand, but you've said that it's 11, 12, and 13 years old....please clarify which it is.....three years makes a big difference on a daily use chair, ESPECIALLY if it's got advanced functions like standing....
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

i guess being over 40 affects my math
    i asked my wife to be sure.
    shes always right....
    anyhow i got my superstand aug.1995.
    i truly would not want to be without it.