Thread: Bladder and Botox

Bladder and Botox

Hello - I am new to this site. C-5 - 1 yr. 2 mos. I have detrusor sphincter dysinergia. I am now experiencing bladder and kidney burning and have had Ultrasound scans that show that I do not have Hydronephrosis.

I'm wondering what you know about these burns and what you know about botox injections into the sphincter. If this has the same kind of effect that a sphincterotomy has without the non-reversal.

Welcome to the site! The good news is that you do not have hydronephrosis. The pain that you are experiencing sounds like a neurologic type of pain. It also could be related to the spasticity that you may be having.

The botox injections into the bladder have a similar effect as a sphincterotomy- reverses itself over time- but if it does work will need to be repeated. It may help your spincter dysynergia and is certainly worth exploring.

(CKF)

Not the same effect.
    For what I know, Botox injections are made in the detrusor muscle of the bladder (not in the sphincter) making the bladder more flacid so that it doesn't contract against your resisting sphincter. So if you have a sphincter that doesn't give up easily, it looks like the Botox could mean cathing to empty your bladder (what do you do now?). A sphincterotomy would let the urine pass easily whenever your bladder contracts, meaning a leg bag ... anyway post more details on your situation for more accurate info.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Botox can be injected EITHER in the external sphincter muscle (to reduce voiding pressure and residual, like a sphincterotomy) OR injected into the bladder muscle itself to increase capacity and decrease leakage and pressure. Generally would not be indicated to use both in the same person, but they are both done. We have not had a lot of success with the sphincter Botox, but have seen some good results with the bladder Botox. Both would have to be repeated periodically, and both can be done as outpateint procedures.

(KLD)

Thanks KLD, that is why I wrote "For what I know", was too lazy too search for the sphincter indication. Still, questions remain as to what exactly he refers to (even though he wrote sphincter injections) and what is the actual bladder management and what is expected after the procedure.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

So sorry for not giving more information and for having stepped away for so long. I am definitely looking to have the injection in my bladder sphincter. With the result of of constant voiding using a condom catheter and a leg bag. I live in Santa Fe and I have not had any luck finding someone who will administer the injection. I have also called Craig hospital, and they do not do it. If you know of anyone in this region that does it. I would greatly appreciate the information. Thank you both for your feedback.

ryanvoss-

You might try calling Ranch de Los Amigos in LA or UCLA- they may be a distance for you, but also may know of someone closer.

CKF