Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoyer Lift

Hoyer Lift

How many people get in and out of their chairs using a hoyer lift with only 1 person assisting them? Thats how I learned to help my husband when he was in rehab and now our temporary visiting physical therapist has told our daily attendant that that just isn't permissible.I'm afraid my not very motivated sweetie is going to see this as an excuse to stay in bed and watch the History Channel all weekend when I don't have any help coming in!

My 19-year-old son used a hoyer lift for about a month after coming home from rehab while he continued to work on his lateral transfers and increase his strength. I was the only person to assist him. He is over 200 pounds and I am a relatively small person, but we had no problems. We had an aide at the time from a visiting nurse agency and she was not authorized by her agency to use the lift until her supervisor came out and observed her using the lift. After that, no problem. My only comment - and I'm sure you already know this - is just to be sure the sling is properly placed around his body and properly hooked to the lift. Your husband is probably very aware of this, I'm sure. Also, just a note - we did have a manual lift that had to be "jacked" up. We did not have an electric lift.

I used a hoyer lift during my pregnancy in a very tight/awkward space with only one person assisting.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

Catwoman-
    thats the same lift we have- my husband is c4, and weighs about 140. I had no idea I was supposed to be having problems with this.

We used a Trixie lift for four years up until about a year ago with no problem. My wife or aid was able to use it and I weighed 180 lbs. One of the best things we have done since injury is install a barrier free ceiling lift. It's expensive (roughly $5,000), but transfers are Very Very easy. It is much easier on everybody and it helps me in knowing that my wife won't have back problems down the road from moving me.

I also used the hoyer lift by myself to get the b/f into the chair when his wrist was shattered and had a fixator on it, non weight bearing.It's obviously easier to roll on low carpet or hardwood floors, we had to use it on thick pile rugs, was hard to push, but that was the only problem.

WE'RE HOPING FOR THE BEST

hi

i use a home made ceiling lift my dad built for me. i use the hooks and sling from my old hoyer lift and hook it up to an electric hoist
    i bought from northerntool.com. then i used a metal track with rollers used for sliding doors on some shops. my dad then screwed the track to the ceiling and attatched the hoist to the rollers on the track. i paid about $100 for the hoist and the track and rollers were laying around my dads shop. i already had the sling and hooks from my hoyer that medicaid paid for. its not as fancy looking as the $5000 ceiling lifts ive seen but it works just as good.it takes my mom about 5 minutes or less to get me in or out of my chair.
    hoist

track

[This message was edited by Julian on 09-25-03 at 07:59 PM.]

i use a hoyer to get my brother up daily by myself. i also did it in the hospital as a nurse. go with your comfort level, not theirs. the ability to use with minimal personnel is one of the reasons for a hoyer! i used to do the lift every time but have to look at future back problems since i am the caretaker. jim knows to check me on technique and safety. i am pretty amazed this person said this! in the hospital most mishaps occur because there is more than one helper and they are talking and not paying attention.

I use a overhead ceiling lift with Sure Hands. It works great for me.

http://homepage.mac.com/bradd/PhotoAlbum14.html

Brad, they had the same kind of lift that you use in the Mirage Hotel in Las Vegas when we went earlier in this year. My wife and I had a terribly hard time with that because there was no support under my butt. In the picture, you look like it supports you very well. How do you keep from putting a lot of pressure on your shoulders or go without the support underneath? Does that one just have the hooks underneath your legs and nothing else? Maybe we were not using it correctly. Thanks.