Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Transdifferentiated bone marrow mesenchymal cells used, 2 pt chronic SCI in Argentina

Transdifferentiated bone marrow mesenchymal cells used, 2 pt chronic SCI in Argentina

I will comment later.

[*] Moviglia G, Fernandez Vina R, Brizuela J, Saslavsky J, Vrsalovic F, Varela G, Bastos F, Farina P, Etchegaray G, Barbieri M, Martinez G, Picasso F, Schmidt Y, Brizuela P, Gaeta C, Costanzo H, Moviglia Brandolino M, Merino S, Pes M, Veloso M, Rugilo C, Tamer I and Shuster G (2006). Combined protocol of cell therapy for chronic spinal cord injury. Report on the electrical and functional recovery of two patients. Cytotherapy 8: 202-9. BackgroundThis is a preliminary report on successful results obtained during treatment of two patients with chronic spinal cord injury. The therapeutic approach was based on the generation of controlled inflammatory activity at the injury site that induced a microenvironment for the subsequent administration of autologous, BM-driven transdifferentiated neural stem cells (NSC).MethodsBM mesenchymal stem cells (MSC) were cocultured with the patient's autoimmune T (AT) cells to be transdifferentiated into NSC. Forty-eight hours prior to NSC implant, patients received an i.v. infusion of 5x108 to 1x109 AT cells. NSC were infused via a feeding artery of the lesion site. Safety evaluations were performed everyday, from the day of the first infusion until 96 h after the second infusion. After treatment, patients started a Vojta and Bobath neurorehabilitation program.ResultsAt present two patients have been treated. Patient 1 was a 19-year-old man who presented paraplegia at the eight thoracic vertebra (T8) with his sensitive level corresponding to his sixth thoracic metamere (T6). He received two AT-NSC treatments and neurorehabilitation for 6 months. At present his motor level corresponds to his first sacral metamere (S1) and his sensitive level to the fourth sacral metamere (S4). Patient 2 was a 21-year-old woman who had a lesion that extended from her third to her fifth cervical vertebrae (C3-C5). Prior to her first therapeutic cycle she had severe quadriplegia and her sensitive level corresponded to her second cervical metamere (C2). After 3 months of treatment her motor and sensitive levels reached her first and second thoracic metameres (T1-T2). No adverse events were detected in either patient.DiscussionThe preliminary results lead us to think that this minimally invasive approach, which has minor adverse events, is effective for the repair of chronic spinal cord lesions. Fundacion Regina Mater, Buenos Aires, Argentina. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=16793729
    [*] Moviglia G, Varela G, Gaeta C, Brizuela J, Bastos F and Saslavsky J (2006). Autoreactive T cells induce in vitro BM mesenchymal stem cell transdifferentiation to neural stem cells. Cytotherapy 8: 196-201. BackgroundThe degree of post-injury inflammation of the damaged area of a spinal cord is the main difference between the natural successful repair in inferior vertebrates and failure in superior vertebrates. The treatment of rats with anti-myelin lymphocytes after experimental spinal cord injury induces their functional recovery. On the other hand, mesenchymal stem cells (MSC) from adult BM implanted in injured areas recover the morphology and function of spinal cord in mammals. The purpose of this study was to determine whether there is a direct relationship between anti-nervous tissue T cells and MSC reparatory properties.MethodsCirculating autoreactive lymphocytes of patients with spinal cord injuries and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis were isolated and activated in vitro. These cells were cocultured with autologous MSC for 2-15 days. Cocultures of non-selected lymphocytes were used as controls.ResultsAfter 48 h of coculture, MSC adopted a spindle shape with polarization of the cytoplasm that resembled bipolar neurons. Their nuclei diminished the nucleolus number and the chromatin lost its granular appearance. After 15 days of culture the cells developed the typical structure of a neural network. No morphologic changes were observed in control cultures. The differentiated cells reacted positively to tubuline III, GFAP and nestin. No differences were observed between the different patient cell sources.DiscussionWe observed that autoreactive cells may induce the transdifferentiation of MSC to neural stem cells. This T-cell-MSC interaction may be a common phenomenon during physiologic nerve tissue repair. Instituto Regina Mater, Buenos Aires, Argentina. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=16793728

Look forward to it Wise.......this sounds HUGE

Although a small sample this is a scientific FIRST is it not

Full reports can be found on the Fundacion's site in the Publications section:
    http://www.reginamater.com/

Fix My Paws

Funny how interested I get and how closely I can pay attention when the trial yeilds positive results. I would do anything to have strong hands again and while this is only a two person trial the lady went from C3 to T1. Even though there was data I don't understand I am impressed. I am interested to read what Dr. Young has to say.

C3 to T1, this sounds great. Recovery of my upper body would be a drastic change in my quality of life. Quads dream with something like this.

sounds like a dream comes true. Dr Young what is your opinion?

"The preliminary results lead us to think that this minimally invasive approach, which has minor adverse events, is effective for the repair of chronic spinal cord lesions."

Sounds good, sign me up.

Another aspect of this work is the fact that it is beneficial for chronics AND acutes, since acutes will eventually become chronic, a win-win.
    Last edited by Schmeky; 07-03-2006 at 01:55 PM.

If I may speculate, I think Regina Mater is a Catholic place (based on the name). If so, and this research holds true, then Catholics have done a good bit for us.

This looks to be a preliminary report. The studies appear to be ongoing.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Im obviously all for scientific and peer reviewed data yet a quick google search on 'regina mater' and I have my concerns

por ejemplo....

http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&cd=98

Hope I'm wrong

In this Regina Mater was the foundation/Institution which funded the study (Steve have you been to many Latin countries) and it looks like the girl at least will have more treatments. Looks like something has happen on the males MRI’s as well, but are looking forward to comments from Wise. http://www.reginamater.com/ (publications).

(Looks like they are advertising for several stem cell treatments, i.e. MS, Parkinson’s and Diabetes).