Thread: BOWEL PROGRAMS: THE GOOD, THE BAD

BOWEL PROGRAMS: THE GOOD, THE BAD

ok, I have read many many posts regarding bowel management. The part that I'm a little confused about is what drugs/laxatives/stimulants are effective and good for long-term use. Could one of the nurses spell this out for me?

-Lewis

I have used the "Magic Bullet" from Concepts in Confidence for over a decade with great results. It's a water-soluble bisacodyl suppository that works pretty fast and has not caused me any discomfort.

Drinking a lot of water and getting fiber into your diet will also help you maintain a reliable program.

Good luck.

Unfortunately there is a big lack of research on bowel management in SCI. Much of what we do and recommend as professionals just comes from years of accumulated experience and trial and error.

As always, I recommend downloading this publication from the Consortium for Spinal Cord Medicine and using it as a guideline for yourself:

Neurogenic Bowel: What You Should Know

(The PVA site is down, apparently for maintenance. Check this URL later.)

Given that, there are a number of strong indications that long term use of osmotic laxatives (MOM,Lactulose,etc.) or stimulants containing senna or cascera (Sennakot, etc.) or long term use of enemas may increase your risk for developing megacolon in the long run.

As discussed here before, mineral oil, castor oil, etc. should also be avoided for routine use.

I have seen no good evidence that long term use of suppositories (Enemeez, bisacodyl, glycerine) or stool softeners or fiber products have any influence on long term development of bowel or other complications.

(KLD)

SCI Nurse,

I was wondering about the Enemeez bowel product. Can you give me any background on these please. I read where they are ok. Does many people use these and do they work. I read where they were like an enema (?) and works fast I think, not sure.

The unfortunately named Enemeez is a new product that just came on the market last year. It contains a chemically identical liquid mix of liquid Colace (DSS), liquid soap and glycerine to the older (and now off the market) Therevac. It is not an enema (which flushes out stool with water) but a "liquid suppository" since it has such a small volume (about 5cc.).

I have used this product for over 10 years in my practice. I have seen no evidence that long term use causes any ill effects, either from the literature or from my practice.

Here is a link to the company's website:

Enemeez

(KLD)

$80 for a box of 30!

Does insurance or Medicaid cover these? I wish I could buy just a couple and see if they'd work for me.

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse:

The unfortunately named Enemeez is a new product that just came on the market last year. It contains a chemically identical liquid mix of liquid Colace (DSS), liquid soap and glycerine to the older (and now off the market) Therevac. It is not an enema (which flushes out stool with water) but a "liquid suppository" since it has such a small volume (about 5cc.).

I have used this product for over 10 years in my practice. I have seen no evidence that long term use causes any ill effects, either from the literature or from my practice.

Here is a link to the company's website:

http://www.enemeez.com

(KLD)
    _____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Contact the company. Their reps were giving out samples right and left a few months ago. You might also want to check with your SCI physician or nurse for samples.

(KLD)