Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you swim or have pool access

If you swim or have pool access

I got a book
    Overcoming paralysis - Out of the chair into the pool

I thought i read here that it wasn't good but I really like it. I think it is worth the $10 or whatever to pick it up, especially if you have pool access.

Even Mike is interested in my pool lift now

Also, not sure if you all know this but if you have Easter Seals in your area lot's of them have pools with ramps etc.

www.easterseals.com

Many YMCAs have chairs which lower into and out of pools. You transfer into the chair at the side of the pool, use the hydraulic system to enter the water and the chair is in the water waiting on you when you want to exit.

It makes life much simpler!

Pool

I agree with La Mem, And getting into the pool as early as possible is soooo important. Things can be felt in the pool that cannot be detected anywhere else. Also, muscles get worked and stretched in the pool like nowhere else. My PT always said that you should never under-estimate the workout your legs get in the water swimming. It also is comfortable on the torso.

I started using the YMCAs lift and worked up to lifting myself out of the pool and into my chair on my own. It took 2 years, so don't be discouraged. It seemed as if building up stamina and strength took longer than when I was AB. Pat

Yep i go to the YMCA as well, it really helps like everyone else said. They have a lift but I got on my ass and flopped down the stairs. (the life guards expression was priceless).

Get 2 big float noodles, wrap them around his wasite, so his legs will dangle but his upper body is afloat and from there he can try to move anything and everyhting and he may feel somthing kick in or u may see somthing. Goodluck
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Help

I forgot to mention how difficult it is to keep the elderly patrons from attempting to help transfer from the deck to the chair when it is un-wanted!!! Pat

LOLERSPAGHETTI!

That happens to me too pat, or an older guy will say, hey i know how it is, i have a bum leg too (if they only knew). Actually the first time i went into the poool at the YMCA, this older lady was pissed that i was allowed floating devices in the pool but she wasn't allowed and made a huge sene. it was a fun time! hah
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

I got that book about a year and a half ago Chopper. I really like it.

I was still in outpatient PT at the time, and was thinking about dropping it. I was telling my PT about how good the book was, so he told me "but they only tell you about the people it works for. There are a lot of people that it doesn't work for". That made my decision easy. My next visit was my last.

Seriously though, doing those exercises is a great idea. Good luck to you guys.
    -------7-23-04----------
    C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
    www.darrentempleton.com
    www.pushtowalknj.org

Quote Originally Posted by divin'darren
    I got that book about a year and a half ago Chopper. I really like it.

I was still in outpatient PT at the time, and was thinking about dropping it. I was telling my PT about how good the book was, so he told me "but they only tell you about the people it works for. There are a lot of people that it doesn't work for". That made my decision easy. My next visit was my last.

Seriously though, doing those exercises is a great idea. Good luck to you guys.

duH? Of course they're not going to tell you about the people they don't work for, what was he thinking? Is he going to tell you about the patients he wasn't able to help? ... right. anyway.

Unfortunately before my injury I never learned how to swim - and now I'm just downright scared to. I learned how to snorkel, but without snorkeling gear, I couldn't do it, I couldn't stand the lack of being able to breathe. Any suggestions for me? I definately want to try the water therapy, I'm sure that with the results everyone else has, I'd have some good return as well.

I have that book, too; I bought it used on Amazon.com.

We decided to try the neighborhood pool yesterday evening. I didn't have too much trouble getting in: we rolled the wheelchair near the steps and I eased down into the water. I exercised and "walked" (with a noodle) across the pool and back.

Getting me out of the pool was a different story. We tried more than a dozen times to get me back onto the w/c, but I couldn't raise myself up high enough. Finally, my husband pulled me under one arm and my son pulled me under the other, and I was able to raise up high enough to sit on the w/c.

It was a great workout, and I'm ready to go again, but my husband isn't too excited about it.

WTL
    Cancer-related SCI, 12/26/05

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannette

Unfortunately before my injury I never learned how to swim - and now I'm just downright scared to. I learned how to snorkel, but without snorkeling gear, I couldn't do it, I couldn't stand the lack of being able to breathe. Any suggestions for me? I definately want to try the water therapy, I'm sure that with the results everyone else has, I'd have some good return as well.
    If you use a floatation device, you don't have to worry about going under. I just use a noodle now, but when I started pool therapy I used a floatation belt. You could also use a "life jacket" type floatation device, that would help keep your head up as well. Hopefully that would remove the fear factor in the beginning, and you could start using less and less. My PT also suggested I could use a mask and snorkle for swimming on my stomach, so that I don't have to keep coming up for air. That along with a floatation belt might be just the thing for you.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005