Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: esc vs asc

esc vs asc

i dont know how much of this is true. but it is worth discussing.

http://www.stemcellresearch.org/facts/treatments.htm

Who wrote that?

Jerry Falwell?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee
    Jerry Falwell?
    Yeah, you kinda get the feeling that this list isn't exacly unbiased.

Quote Originally Posted by DA

Hey DA, just curious if you wanted to get in on some beachfront vacation property in Baghdad, Iraq? Sounds like you might be interested?

I think it's worth discussing?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl R
    Hey DA, just curious if you wanted to get in on some beachfront vacation property in Baghdad, Iraq? Sounds like you might be interested?

I think it's worth discussing?
    yeah, sign me up. i hear there is a lot of oil under that lake and tigeris river.

Hey, check out #47, We're cured!

It's a miracle!

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee
    Jerry Falwell?
    Curt, the list apparently comes from an 2003 appendix that David Prentice did for the President's Bioethics Council (Source). David Prentice, as you may remember, is a self-proclaimed stem cell expert who is a professor in Indiana. In any case, somebody made a list and started spreading it around as a talking point for opponents of embryonic stem cell research. Representative David Weldon started claiming in 2004 that adult stem cells are now curing 70 different diseases. This has become a mantra that is intoned by all the organizations opposing embryonic stem cell research. To my knowledge, none of the people have looked closely at the list and asked themselves the question whether any of the diseases have been "cured" and by adult stem cells. At least this list doesn't say cure and says "benefits".

I hope that they don't whisper the items on the list too loudly to families and people that have these conditions. For example, I hope that nobody is telling people who are dying of glioblastomas that adult stem cells are benefitting them. All the items on the list that pertain to cancer are there because chemotherapy to treat the tumors also kill bone marrow and one can use bone marrow or umbilical cord blood transplants to restore hematopoiesis. Nobody mentions the fact that a majority of people who need to find matched bone marrow donors do not and die. They ignore the fact that the bone marrow transplants have a high mortality rate and severe complications such as graft-versus-host disease that make it so that most doctors would not consider a bone marrow transplant until there are no other alternatives.

I was shocked that Representative David Weldon started to spout this list. He is a doctor and he should know better. Take just three items on the list of auto-immune diseases: multiple sclerosis, scleroderma, systemic lupus. Does anybody here think that people with these conditions are currently benefitting from adult stem cell therapies? Spinal cord injury, stroke, and Parkinson's disease are on this list. Tell me, how many people with these conditions do you know have benefitted from adult stem cells? The even more frightening behavior is that Weldon and others are shamelessly spouting this list in front of people with spinal cord injury, stroke, and Parkinson's disease. I know many people who are dying from the diseases and conditions listed. How can people with any conscience or sense of propriety look these people in the eye and say that adult stem cells are curing them? Worse, opponents of embryonic stem cell research are willing to stop all stem cell research like they are doing in New Jersey.

By the way, I want to emphasize that I strongly support adult and umbilical cord blood stem cell research. I believe that these cells can and will be beneficial for many conditions, including spinal cord injury. However, they are not yet benefitting people and additional research is needed to make it so. In 2005, NIH released information saying that it is supporting about $235 million of human stem cell research, less than 1% of the NIH budget on an area of research that many biomedical scientists believe is the most promising development since the discovery of DNA as the basis of genes. It is sad.

Wise.

The problem is not many do know how much of this is true..thus they believe the leaders that are saying it.

They don't bother to check with oh say St. Judes Research Center..the City of Hope..or the University and private hospitals that are in the business of working with the patients.

ASC is a good thing. And NEEDS alot more money devoted to it's study and implementations..but so does ESC.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Thumbs down

This is too dumb to be worth discussing. Will the rightwing propagandists stop at nothing?
    Step up, stand up for:
    http://www.stepnow.org

'He not busy being born is busy dying." <Bob Dylan>

All I can say

Is I cannot wait for the new Michael Moore movie to come out. Then again, even though his last movie about Bush was a huge box office movie and lots of people saw it, Bush still got re-elected. What worries me most with Michael Moores new movie is that people will just be sitting there watching and laughing, munching on popcorn while people are still stuck in wheelchairs and even dying of many health conditions that something could be done about but wont be done about in the US because of our Federal Government. They probabley would not be laughing so much when it happens to them. Then they will by saying, why is there no help for me?
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 06-29-2006 at 06:39 PM.