Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Carlos Lima

Dr. Carlos Lima

What in the world happened to Dr. Carlos Lima...?? He took millions of dollars from people in another country and now he is not even in the top 5 researchers we are lookin for a cure from. What in the world is he doing now?

There is somethin seriously wrong with this picture.

Maybe Susan should stand up and tell Dr. Lima that he better do some follow up with his patients and go back to the drawing board and try again.

i find this too be a little outlandish. Some can probably argue he was being a pioneer but takin peeps money to be guinea pigs are not pioneer material.

Even though i think people should of thought a lot more clearly into what they were doing before doing this...still.....this doctor took desperate uneducated people's mula for something he really had no clue whether worked or not.
    Last edited by spidergirl; 06-28-2006 at 11:33 PM.

We came very close to visiting Dr. Lima and came to the conclusion that we did not want our son to be anyone's guinea pig! The cure will come, in time, and hopefully you will all be ready and not do anything in the mean time to jeopardize your chances for recovery!

Another thread giving details of a recently published report of results of his work

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=64995

Published schmublished.

He collected millions and hasn't cured a soul.

IMO he's a fraud.

Perhaps he's workin in cahoots with whatever rehab facility in Detroit he's sending his patients too for financial purposes.

I agree that being published doesn't necessarily explain away all the hype that went up around his name and his treatment. I suppose though it is a way of placing it all in a context and allowing the treatment to be judged on its own merits - at least now the results are no longer hearsay or solely patients' own testimonies. These are now official results. A case-load of 7 doesn't seem much to go on, but the report is interesting nonetheless, and I expect there will be more to follow as more patients reach the 18 month post treatment mark. One patient suffered some loss of sensation, but gained motor function. That was the only loss reported. Most gains were seemingly small, but as any of us knows, even a small return can bring about big everyday changes in coping.
    Regarding the money spent, the report says none of the 7 paid for the treatment, only for the rehabilitative treatment afterwards. Obviously there have been others who did pay, but I have no idea if Lima made 'millions' - did he?
    It will be interesting to follow the clinical trial of Dr Raisman, starting later this year and also using OEGc's.
    Last edited by carbar; 06-29-2006 at 02:56 AM.

Spidergirl, the rehab facility in Detroit does is not endorse any particular procedure nor is there a vested interest. I believe there is interest in seeking FDA approval of an OEC procedure because it avoids the controversy (political/religious) surrounding other procedures. The facility offers intensive rehab for all individuals with SCI that qualify (with or without experimental procedure). The facility has treated individuals who have undergone procedures in China, Ecuador, Korea, Mexico, Portugal, and Russia. Dr. Lima's work was just accepted for publication in the Journal of Spinal Cord. I think all would agree that it would be nice to see an N of larger numbers. Additionally, I think some valid points are made in the commentary (by Dr. Kirshblum) with the exception of the need for more animal trials concerning OEC. I believe there is enough rat data concerning OEC to move on to the next step (primate or human?).
    Wildwilly

Quote Originally Posted by spidergirl

What in the world happened to Dr. Carlos Lima...?? He took millions of dollars from people in another country and now he is not even in the top 5 researchers we are lookin for a cure from. What in the world is he doing now?

There is somethin seriously wrong with this picture.

Maybe Susan should stand up and tell Dr. Lima that he better do some follow up with his patients and go back to the drawing board and try again.

i find this too be a little outlandish. Some can probably argue he was being a pioneer but takin peeps money to be guinea pigs are not pioneer material.

Even though i think people should of thought a lot more clearly into what they were doing before doing this...still.....this doctor took desperate uneducated people's mula for something he really had no clue whether worked or not.
    Completely agree Spidey, as I posted in the Raisman thread, no-one including Lima appears to know exactly what is being transplanted. There's all sorts of nasties up one's hooter for starters

A sample would need to be properly populated, refined and scrutinised at the very least I would've thought. Its highly unlikely to be pure culture olfactory ensheathing glia - no wonder its not working. We don't even know if that will yet!!

And I agree, I think past patients are in a good position to perhaps help to get Dr Lima to review his current 'methods', if they so desire. I for one would feel very cheated. He's still operating in the same fashion as he did from day one I believe - NOT COOL.

Mombo - Wise Words also

So Wrong!

Spider Girl, The fee for Dr. Lima's Olfactory Stem Cell procedure does not benefit him at all. It barely covers the hospital stay and surgery cost. It's sad that you would accuse this wonderful man of greed. There are many people who would do that. He is not one of them. Please check your facts.
    Last edited by mrudat01; 02-06-2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: add

Yeah well, i did not pay a cent. I havent talked to Spidergirl for a long time, if she comes around i would like her to review those statements, i believe now she would have a different approach.
    Anyway even if his technique worked good or not, it was for the evolution on research.
    If i had to, i would be another soldier on this battle.

Quote Originally Posted by mrudat01 View Post
    Spider Girl, The fee for Dr. Lima's Olfactory Stem Cell procedure does not benefit him at all. It barely covers the hospital stay and surgery cost. It's sad that you would accuse this wonderful man of greed. There are many people who would do that. He is not one of them. Please check your facts.
    How suspicious is that the very first user's post is of this kind. I have no opinion on the Carlos Lima matter, but just saying.
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)