Thread: Different research, hand-in hand

Different research, hand-in hand

http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/521573/

Newswise — Cancer researchers at Columbia University Medical Center have found that a protein known for driving the growth of cancer also plays a surprising role in restoring the ability of neurons to regenerate, making it an important target for addressing spinal cord damage or neurological diseases like Alzheimer’s.

The research will be published in the journal Nature and will be available Wednesday, June 28 on the journal’s web site.

“Our finding suggests that the same process this protein uses for proliferating cancer could also potentially be used to regrow axons that are damaged in spinal cord injuries or neurological diseases,” said Antonio Iavarone, M.D., associate professor of neurology and pathology at Columbia University Medical Center’s Institute for Cancer Genetics, and the study’s lead author.

<sci>

While searching for ways to attack Id’s cancer-causing properties, Dr. Iavarone and Anna Lasorella, M.D. assistant professor of pediatrics and pathology at the Institute for Cancer Genetics, discovered the surprising neuron-healing properties of Id proteins.

More. http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/521573/
    Mmmm - axons. What I need but it will take 30 more years or so to understand and fix, well some looneys says.

KDI protein update

Thank you for your interest in the Byrd Alzheimer’s Institute research program on KDI. We anticipate that clinical trials for spinal cord injury may begin soon. However, the results of animal research on KDI for ALS is not yet positive and we have some more work to do before we can even plan a clinical trial for ALS. I know you hoped for faster results, as did we, but we have to act on the basis of solid science and at the moment, the emphasis will be on spinal cord injury and Alzheimer’s disease. Your contact information will remain on our list and will notify you as results progress.

Best regards

Huntington Potter, Ph.D.
    CEO and Scientific Director
    Johnnie B. Byrd Sr. Alzheimer's Center and Research Institute
    I am not your rolling wheels
    I am the highway
    I am not your carpet ride
    I am the sky
    I am not your blowing wind
    I am the lightning
    I am not your autumn moon
    I am the night, the night..

Hi! [H]) Potter, can you explain more when it comes to your SCI research? Thanks upfront.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormycoon
    Thank you for your interest in the Byrd Alzheimer’s Institute research program on KDI. We anticipate that clinical trials for spinal cord injury may begin soon. However, the results of animal research on KDI for ALS is not yet positive and we have some more work to do before we can even plan a clinical trial for ALS. I know you hoped for faster results, as did we, but we have to act on the basis of solid science and at the moment, the emphasis will be on spinal cord injury and Alzheimer’s disease. Your contact information will remain on our list and will notify you as results progress.

Best regards

Huntington Potter, Ph.D.
    Think I have found a looney rep...

I did find some more

Quote Originally Posted by Stormycoon

Best regards

Huntington Potter, Ph.D.

They knew, however, that an enzyme called APC can destroy something called stormycoon like the Id protein in healthy cells. So, the researchers developed a "super Id" (like a macinegun) protein that was resistant to APC against the stormycoon bacteria. This allowed axonal regeneration to proceed. The "super Id" even encouraged the re-growth of axons in the presence of myelin regardless of the stormycoon factor, a substance that usually inhibits axonal regeneration.

www.stormycoon_rehab.com