Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Superman Returns

Superman Returns

Now that 'Superman Returns', this summer's biggest blockbuster, is out in a theater near you, it might be a good time to remind ourselves how much the original movie superman has done to further the cause of disabled people worldwide. And while we are at it, we may as well buy a few Superman Tags to raise much needed funding for SCI and stem cell research.

http://www.supermantag.org/
    Step up, stand up for:
    http://www.stepnow.org

'He not busy being born is busy dying." <Bob Dylan>

I just bought two a couple days ago.

I just saw this movie yesterday, and it was pretty good. The guy playing Superman reminded me a lot of Chris Reeve. Kevin Spacey was really good as Lex Luthor. I bookmarked the Supermantag page, thanks for the heads-up. On a geeky side-note(I guess there's the superhero connection) They showed the preview for the new Spiderman movie, and Scorpion if you're reading this have you seen it or heard anything about it? It looked like it might have, or be building up to(for a sequel) the Venom character, or at least the symbiote.
    De Omnibus Dubitandum

Quote Originally Posted by Myc0
    On a geeky side-note(I guess there's the superhero connection) They showed the preview for the new Spiderman movie, and Scorpion if you're reading this have you seen it or heard anything about it? It looked like it might have, or be building up to(for a sequel) the Venom character, or at least the symbiote.
    Yes! I have seen the Spider-Man 3 teaser trailer! I saw it online because at the preview showing chick and I saw last Tuesday (the day before it opened officially) they didn't have the previews set up, so we just saw the movie. I wish I'd seen the Spider-Man 3 trailer on the big screen. I think 3 will lead into 4, featuring Venom, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a glimpse of Venom at the end of 3. Spider-Man 2 was better than the first, and Spider-Man 3 might be even better. Sandman looks cool... I'd like to see The Scorpion sometime on the screen. :P I predict either Mary Jane or Gwen Stacey (Peter's new flame) will die at the hands of the new Green Goblin in an homage to the old comics.

I liked Superman Returns, but I'd like to have seen more dialogue and character development with Clark Kent, and Lois wasn't feisty/tough enough. She was a pretty face but not the hard-working reporter we saw in the first two Superman films. Routh did a pretty good job emulating Reeve's performance, particularly when he was playing Clark Kent, and it was cool that they included the voice-over and film shots of Marlon Brando playing Superman's father Jor-El from the first film. This was a sequel to Superman and Superman II by the way. Let's try and forget Superman III and IV ever happened, especially IV.

A lot of people here will be glad to know that Superman Returns was dedicated to Christopher & Dana Reeve.

(Thanks to chick for linking me to Myc0's geeky post.)

Y'know I used to be big into comics, and Spiderman comics are what got me into them. I havn't seen the Spiderman movies though, and it's been so long since I watched the Superman movies that I don't clearly recall much about them. Spiderman lost Mary Jane? What gives? Yeah that was cool to see the dedication to Christopher & Dana Reeve in the credits. My mom said it would have been better if they had donated a percentage of the money the movie made to the Christopher Reeve Foundation, and yeah that would have been really cool but at least they got mentioned. Hopefully the movie will help bring more attention to the Christopher Reeve Foundation.
    De Omnibus Dubitandum

Dude, you GOTTA see Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2! He doesn't "lose" Mary Jane in those movies really, but it looks like they're not together in 3 and he's with Gwen Stacey (in the comics, Gwen was his girlfriend long before MJ was).

Spider-Man has always been my favorite comic character.

Myc0, yes, it might be interesting to see if there was any monetary contribution to support the Reeves, besides the film Dedication.

Last edited by chick; 07-07-2006 at 12:40 AM.

Don't you think they should have just let the Superman movies go, out of respect for CR ? Just won't be the same to me without him

Quote Originally Posted by chick
    Myc0, yes, it might be interesting to see if there was any monetary contribution to support the Reeves, besides the film Dedication.

Chick~
    Warner Brothers and Marvel Comics have allowed use of the Superman logo for 3 years to be used on the Superman Tags with the CRF motto, GO FORWARD Warner Brothers made the Tags and all proceeds go to the CRF. Thus far they have brought in over $800,000.

Don't you think they should have just let the Superman movies go, out of respect for CR ? Just won't be the same to me without him
    Duge, Both Dana and CR were happy to see the movie remade. Dana sent the new Superman a set of tags and a note, shortly before she passed away. He has been wearing them in public, promoting the cause.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake
    Chick~
    Warner Brothers and Marvel Comics have allowed use of the Superman logo for 3 years to be used on the Superman Tags with the CRF motto, GO FORWARD Warner Brothers made the Tags and all proceeds go to the CRF. Thus far they have brought in over $800,000.

Duge, Both Dana and CR were happy to see the movie remade. Dana sent the new Superman a set of tags and a note, shortly before she passed away. He has been wearing them in public, promoting the cause.
    OMG that is awesome!
    Shannon
    C6/7 incomplete
    20 yrs post sci

"falling is easy it's getting back up that becomes the problem, becomes the problem" Staind
    "A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of.:" :-)
    - Burt Bacharach