Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How Do We Tell Him?

The ASIA scale can be a little complex but ASIA A means he is complete.
    Use the Search feature and type in "ASIA scale "and read Dr. Young's explanation.

You can also read about the levels of the spinal cord. The left side may be a little diffferent than the right side with feeling and/or movement.

Sometimes after spinal shock is over there is some possibility of a change.
    Usually it is the level that changes- return of function of one to two levels. There are areas (ZPP-zone of partial preservation) that
    show feeling etc but wouldn't change the overall ASIA classification.
    Every injury is different so it is really hard to say.

I am not sure what there locomotor programs entails but they will provide therapy to increase arm strength, tranferring, use of wheelchair and use of other devices things that will happen also so that he will be albe to go anywhere he wants.

CWO

Quote Originally Posted by cass
    but, for me, i knew i wasn't gonna walk out of there. it wasn't being depressed...it was somehow just something i knew in my gut. but being ok with that i was not. i cried and cried. actually, i had dreams for yrs before of a catastrophe coming. i packed everything i could into my years before my accident. travelled, learned to fly, flew from coast to coast in small plane twice camping under wing, etc. it is as if i knew my time was limited. yeah, yeah a lotta you can laugh

but....my nightmares ended the day of my accident and have never come back.
    I actually had a similar experience - but mine has a continuation. I packed in as much as I could before my accident too, I spent three years living as a gypsy with my husband, we travelled all over North America and the Caribbean, and had planned to move to Europe and do the same thing - I had this feeling that if I didn't do it now I would never be able to. I kept having nightmares that everything would be gone one day and I'd have missed everything. So I kept pushing for us to keep going and doing and seeing, and we went completley broke from it - but I 'm glad we did. I had my accident (which wasn't an all at once thing for me, but the first bone damage was a real accident in a gym) in Toronto, and spent the next six months in a downward spiral, physically. My nightmares ended, and I know this happened to me for a reason. I'm pretty sure that one day I'll heal or be healed or something, but I know it's some time off. A long way away perhaps, but I still have that feeling. In the meantime, I've got something to learn from this, and I'm keeping my eyes open.

Maybe everyone will laugh at me for that too, but that's just the way I feel. I was raised to believe that everything happens for a reason, and fate cannot be denied, and this is just part of my life as it's meant to be laid out.

Interesting topic...a couple weeks before my SCI, I randomly wondered what it would be like to be paralyzed.

Guess I found out!

a few months before my accident i was riding in the same truck accident occurred in. i saw an armless, legless woman going down sidewalk in power chr. i remember looking at my feet, wiggling my toes and thanking the powers that be for my body.

a few months later, i ran across her again, counseling ppl in rehab (including me). coincidence? i honestly don't know.

i also used to pretend as a kid that i couldn't walk. i mean, as a game. but that may have come from all my reading books like Little Women and Wuthering Heights!

as a young adult, the nightmares occurred frequently and i felt driven to live my life to the fullest. the nightmares were never very specific....and actually something dreadful was usually happening to a family member, not me. i'd wake up screaming. 1 and half yrs after my accident, my 35 yr old bro died of cancer. my mom followed, then my dad. i find it hard to believe the nightmares were a coincidence.
    Last edited by cass; 07-16-2006 at 09:43 PM.

I think someone said- last I heard two weeks ago it was Oprah, that nothing is an accident. That we meet who we meet, do what we do and it all is for some reason.I certainly think the potentials of the human mind and spirit have not been exercised to their fullest by a large majority of us.
    Even discussing this on the cc.

I think some of your lives and stories are so exciting. I would be too chicken to back pack or live like a gypsy anywhere/anytime.

I guess we will all know someday when we are in that better beautiful place.

But until then.....everything is an experience!

CWO

I read the last few post from people who had premonitions, and we didnt have any. But this is what happened with Jeremy:
    Jeremy has been involved in numerous MVA's At the age of 23 he has wrecked 7 vehicles. 2 years ago he was involved in an accident in which his friend was killed - who was driving Jeremy or Mike could not be determined by law enforment. Well for the past six months or so Jeremy began to run with the wrong crowd and the weekend before the accident my sis and I talked with Jeremy about getting back on track, his last semester of college was to begin the day after he was injured. Well we talked to him for awhile and he left promising that once school began again he would be home. After he left my sis and I were talking about how we just didnt understand how he wasnt deeply changed by the accident 2 years ago in which his buddy was killed. I looked at my sister and I said "What is it going to take?" One week later Jeremy is involved in this tragedy - You all dont know how much this has ate at me for the last 5 weeks. I feel sick to my stomach everytime I think about it. I never dreamed something like this would happen.
    EVER.

I also need to say that the night of the accident Jeremy wasnt driving because he had been drinking. He did learn that lesson. But look - he thought he was doing the right thing by not drinking and driving and he is now quad. I just dont get it.

Quote Originally Posted by DNikolai
    I also need to say that the night of the accident Jeremy wasnt driving because he had been drinking. He did learn that lesson. But look - he thought he was doing the right thing by not drinking and driving and he is now quad. I just dont get it.

Sadly some lessons even though learned and followed can't stop what happens to us in life. My mother tore herself up after my accident wondering why, not understanding it. Some things there are no answers for. Try not to tear yourself up to much. I hope Jeremy is doing well and please keep us updated.

Http://www.nicolesmart.com

When my son was getting ready to go to Costa Rica, he and his friends were very excited, joking around, having fun like 20 yr olds do. As they drove off for the airport, I turned to my daughter and said "say some prayers because I don't feel good about this trip at all!" So many things happened that nite, I had such a bad feeling and could not shake it. 8 days later (just 2 days before he was to come home) the accident happened. I thought that since 8days had gone by, we were safe - NO WAY!

I also believe that this happened for a reason. The pieces of the puzzle are slowly coming together and in time we will know what God's plan is. Until that time, we keep plugging along - he works hard at everything he does, we try to keep his spirits up, keep our hope and faith alive, and most of all - we try to laugh ALOT!

Quote Originally Posted by DNikolai
    I read the last few post from people who had premonitions, and we didnt have any. But this is what happened with Jeremy:
    Jeremy has been involved in numerous MVA's At the age of 23 he has wrecked 7 vehicles. 2 years ago he was involved in an accident in which his friend was killed - who was driving Jeremy or Mike could not be determined by law enforment. Well for the past six months or so Jeremy began to run with the wrong crowd and the weekend before the accident my sis and I talked with Jeremy about getting back on track, his last semester of college was to begin the day after he was injured. Well we talked to him for awhile and he left promising that once school began again he would be home. After he left my sis and I were talking about how we just didnt understand how he wasnt deeply changed by the accident 2 years ago in which his buddy was killed. I looked at my sister and I said "What is it going to take?" One week later Jeremy is involved in this tragedy - You all dont know how much this has ate at me for the last 5 weeks. I feel sick to my stomach everytime I think about it. I never dreamed something like this would happen.
    EVER.
    Who's never done something stupid? Some of us pay higher prices than others. Some people are slow learners or just can't cope with consequences. The accident that killed his friend must be a terrible burden. Thank God he wasn't driving this time, and wasn't killed.

It's amazing how ppl can pick up pieces and carry on. You'll see (I hope).