Thread: cipro to the rescue?

Question cipro to the rescue?

after sending a sample to the Doc. i have elevated white cell count. do i take cipro asap or wait until the culture returns? i have taken cipro for UTI's 3 times in the last 3 months. i am getting tired of this crap! i have always hated taking meds, even more so when i do not know if they will work! i have symptoms of strong smelling urine and occasional leaking, and some tiredness. any ideas as to the over-use of cipro? can i just wait it out with the condom caths on and hope my body does the dirty work?

reiterates my Bladder BS answer to the sucks poll!
    Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

doh

so i waited until today to get the culture results. Enterobacter Cloacae. Ok i am going to take the Cipro cuz my leaking and increased spasticity are still around. dag nabbit

Quote Originally Posted by nicotico
    so i waited until today to get the culture results. Enterobacter Cloacae. Ok i am going to take the Cipro cuz my leaking and increased spasticity are still around. dag nabbit
    Hi Nicotico,

After getting the "Culture" results back from the doctor or lab indicating that the infecting bacteria was Enterobacter Cloacae did the doctor recommend or prescribe Cipro?

It is effective against Enterobacter Cloacae but was just wondering if your doctor prescribed it according to the "Sensitivity" results. Hopefully it isn't or doesn't turn into a antibiotic resistant strain.

Make sure you take the Cipro (probably 500mg pills.... not sure if it's one or two pills a day?) for at least 7 - 14 days or according to your doctors instructions.

You're gonna have to clean up your cathing technique. I won't go into all that I do before I catheterize (because I'm a germ nut now!) but even before going into the bathroom you should thoroughly scrub your hands and under your fingernails (fingernail brush) in the kitchen sink to get the heavy wheelchair tire bacteria off your hands. Wheelchair pushrims and tires are filthy things picking up everything that you wheel over! And if you have pets in your house you need to be extra careful and vigilant.

I make up a bowl full of water each day with a shot of dish detergent in it and about 10 or 20% bleach and scrub my hands for a couple of minutes while they're immersed in the solution. I live alone (with my greyhound) and keep it in one side of my dual kitchen sink. Then I wheel into the bathroom using a paper towel in each hand and start scrubbing with dish detergent again in there.

Then continue with what you usually do before cathing.

Some people just use that hand sanitizing liquid and that's it. If you just use hand sanitizing liquid before catheterizing make sure you use a lot of it and liberally apply it 2 or 3 times. You need to give it time to kill the bacteria. On the bottle it says 15 seconds but I give it at least a minute or more as I vigorously rub my hands together applying it 2 or 3 times. And that's just one step in my rather involved "new and improved" catheterization process. I also use isopropyl alcohol and hydrogen peroxide but I won't go there now.

You gotta keep the bacteria from getting onto your penis, then into your meatus and then into your urethra that will inevitably end up in your bladder and kidneys and start to multiply. Maybe it will just colonize or maybe give ya a full blown UTI. However you choose to do it is up to you but that's the sequence of getting a UTI. And of course make sure your catheters are free from bacteria too.

Those external condom catheters are mini-incubators soaking your penis and meatus in God only knows what for hours on end.

I'm sure you'll be feeling much better within a day after starting on the Cipro. I usually start feeling better within 12 hours (or even less time) but in 24 hours relief is well underway. I love Cipro!!

I wish the medical community would come up with a sure-fire safe and effective "step by step" process for catheterizing. It's like a hit and miss deal and only a matter of time before we get another UTI. I think the average for a SCI is twice a freakin' year??? There's gotta be a better way.

If you have any cuts or burns on your hands be wary of them. They'll infect you in the blink of an eye.

Best of luck.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by nicotico
    after sending a sample to the Doc. i have elevated white cell count. do i take cipro asap or wait until the culture returns?
    for the next time this happens.. the Dr. told you of the elevated white cell count.. why didn't you ask then? why didn't he prescribe it then?

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

he did but i am not uncomfortable and decided to wait until the culture. now i guess it would have been better to start cip 5 days ago but oh well. maybe better safe than sorry.

So how does one apply the lubrication? i had the small packets but now have a large commercial tube.

Nico, FWIF I was diagnosed with Enterobacter Cloacae too (apparently this is a bacteria associated with fecal contamination....I wonder how that happened.... ). The Dr. prescribed something called Tavanic, one pill for six days and follow that up with Bactrim (sulfa) twice a day for seven days. It seems that my symptoms are gone now and today is my sixth day on Tavanic. I'll start on Bactrim Sunday morning, the Dr. said it that was cool.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

My urologist, who is renowned for his work with SCI, had said to me that overuse of Cipro, as with any other antibiotic, will lead to the bacteria developing resistance. Fortunately, there are more potent antibiotics than Cipro available but you don't want to go there.

I know everyone is different but:
    1) do you drink enough fluids throughout the day?
    2) I applaud Bob Clark for his cleaning technique. If you're unable to do that, do you always wash your hands prior to cathing? If not, do you use alcohol pads to clean your hands and the tip of your penis? If not, do you use any of the anti-bacteria lotions at a minimum?

Getting three UTIs in three months is a lot, so you may need to focus on keeping yourself clean before handling the catheters.

As for your other question, yeah, I would have taken the Cipro immediately as it is a reliable antibiotic that does the trick. No point in suffering any further and once the results of the culture come back, if Cipro is not the appropriate med, then they can switch you at any time but you want to get help ASAP and stop the increase of the bacteria in your bladder because it could spread to your kidney and you just don't wanna go there.

felieh,
    good response thank you. i am switching technique, luckily i have not had any specific bacteria more than once.

paramoto,
    i will kick this one too and then be more careful.

any tips on lube?

No advice nico......UTI's make me miserable. I hope you get to feeling better!!!!!!!!
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

As for the lube, I use this brand called Surgilube that comes in a tube. I apply about four inches up from the tip of the catheter and that's pretty much it.