Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Standing Frame woohoo!

I'm completely done with rehab, have been for a month maybe more so I'm all on my own and will be living completely by myself in August. HUGE change for me and me being paralyzed I'm kind of proud of myself .

Quote Originally Posted by majed_is_my_soul_mate
    be careful because if u try to go thru the lightheadedness you may pass out...and then what.....you would need someone to put u horizontal asap....so i dont know if pulling thru it is the best thing, i know one time MAjed almost passed out on me in the bathroom...i basically had to throw him down onto the ground before he passed out b/c i wouldnt have been able to lay him down ALONE. ur ankles may swell bc the blood circulation....and about ur bowels....thats great if they are perfected, but the GRAVITY helps to "move things along" and is part of the reason sci's have a prob. because they dont have gravity to help their stomach process better.....

LATERS!!!

MAry
    Bleh, I'll figure the standing out somehow. I just want to stand again. And knowing that I'm going to be able to in a week or so is making me want to stand even more. So when I get it I more than likely will overdo it just because I can't stand you know. I'm going to be happy and I'll go through the pain. I've been through the worst pain imaginable, standing again would be worth that pain again.

About the bowels, I haven't had ANY problems with it since I've been home and I'm just worried that standing might throw the system out of wack.

I'm like a little kid on X-mas day before opening a present..... Heheheheheheh CAN"T WAIT

Just make sure someone is with you when you start using the stander, until you know how it effects you.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Yeah, be careful. MIke is standing and feels fine but I have to check his BP and HR. Also, you will notice blanching in the legs. Don't try to do it alone at least not for awhile.

Also, don't stand "all day"!!! I have seen pressure ulcers on the soles of the feet. Stand for an hour at a time, then sit for at least an hour before doing it again.

(KLD)

Easystand

Cathy has the EasyStand Evolv. It has a central frame rather than external, but seems to be missing on some things. We originally trialed the 5000, and it was OK, but this one is deifinitely better. I need to contact the factory, and find out if it is set up wrong in a couple of spots.

It works much easier thant the old version, and takes up less space. It has 4 locking casters, and is easier to transfer to.

Derek, some ppl. have mentioned about using the glider or the tray.. i have both, but going from the glider to install the tray is no easy task. get both and see what you think, but looking at mine and the directions, the glider handles, pistons, and a main bar has to be removed for the tray to be inserted.. a pain in the ass.. maybe they have a different tray other than the one supplied.. i snapped a pic. yesterday...

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Quote Originally Posted by WonderDerek
    I want abs damnit and this might help
    Another thing to consider, what with Cory's success is that stim thing. If your insurance is as good with durable med equip as they seem, they might cover that as well.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Thanks, Jeff. I'll figure something out.

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423
    Another thing to consider, what with Cory's success is that stim thing. If your insurance is as good with durable med equip as they seem, they might cover that as well.
    My friends mom has a TENS unit and she told me that she'll let me use/have it, at least I think so

no prob.. good luck..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Derek..try this out when you get it.

I have a 6000 and love it. I use in combination with an Ergys.

Stand for no more than 20-30 minutes the first time. If you are feeling light headed at all just go back down and wait till it goes away. Then slowly go up and try it again. You will get to the point where you can just go straight up and stay there untill done. I tried the "it will go away" thing during rehad and lets just say it was scary/funny to say the least. I passed out and it took a couple minutes to get me up. Your ankles will swell because blood and fluids will go straight down to your legs. When someone is AB their blood vessels and body muscles push the blood back up obviously for us it doesn't do that. The first couple of times I stood my legs almost doubled in size, especially my ankles. Each time it got better and now I can stand for a little over an hour and they barely swell.

Sometimes I glide, sometimes I don't. Lately I've been doing it in the mornings before work because I don't sleep well and I'd rather do that while watching early TV than sitting in bed w/ a headache.

I bought the tray but I don't use it anymore. You can't have it on and glide at the same time. I actually made a littlier one out of wood that makes it able to glide and have it on at the same time. I keep a drink, remote controls, etc on it.

One other thing you might want to do is stretch your achilles with it. Push one handle/leg all the way in one direction and the other the opposite and hold for 10 mins or so. This is a great strectch for your achilles.

Anyways...you will love it...it really keeps your legs loose and does help out on your bowel program. Even though you might have no problems now with it..after a few times standing up you will see that it goes faster. I can tell a differecne when I don't use the standing frame.