Thread: Old Compression Fracture

Old Compression Fracture

I was in the hospital emergency room last week for possible heart problems. X-rays were taken, along with other tests. One of the x-rays was taken from my side in a sitting position. In this x-ray they found an old mid-level thoracic compression fracture. This is the first I've heard of it! This must've happened when I sustained my C2/C3 injury (incomplete). I have to wonder if this is the reason why I slowly lost function in my hip flexors. Six months after the injury I was able to lift my knees about 5 inches off my chair. Over the next few weeks, I did a lot of standing and walking with a Lite Gait. Within four weeks, I had lost most function in my hip flexors. It was very frustrating and depressing!

After almost 5 years, I still have not regained that level of function in my hip flexors. Is it possible that through exercising I may have caused more damage to my spinal cord at that point? After five years, there's probably not a lot that can be done about it. Just looking for some thoughts on my theory.

Old Fx.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian S
    I was in the hospital emergency room last week for possible heart problems. X-rays were taken, along with other tests. One of the x-rays was taken from my side in a sitting position. In this x-ray they found an old mid-level thoracic compression fracture. This is the first I've heard of it! This must've happened when I sustained my C2/C3 injury (incomplete). I have to wonder if this is the reason why I slowly lost function in my hip flexors. Six months after the injury I was able to lift my knees about 5 inches off my chair. Over the next few weeks, I did a lot of standing and walking with a Lite Gait. Within four weeks, I had lost most function in my hip flexors. It was very frustrating and depressing!

After almost 5 years, I still have not regained that level of function in my hip flexors. Is it possible that through exercising I may have caused more damage to my spinal cord at that point? After five years, there's probably not a lot that can be done about it. Just looking for some thoughts on my theory.
    A X-Ray taken from the side position is called a lateral. Being over 50 years old it would be common practice to do a Chest series for suspect Heart problem through the ER. The lateral chest X-Ray if properly done will show the Thoracic Spine. A compression FX. can NOT be dated exactly but can be recognized as acute or old. Your best bet is to request your injury date Radiology reports.

There really is no way to know this for sure. I would compare speak with request that the radiolgoist compare them to any other previous xrays to see if this was present int he past and if so, has it worsened.

AAD

Cause of c2/c3 injury

Do you mind sharing what the cause of your c2/c3 injury was from? I dont know alot of about that area of the spine except the impact can be extremly severe.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiffonRose
    Do you mind sharing what the cause of your c2/c3 injury was from? I dont know alot of about that area of the spine except the impact can be extremly severe.
    The short answer is that I had a bicycle accident, flew over the handlebars, and landed on the top of my head. If you'd like to read the whole story, you can visit my website.

http://briansternberg.com/first-year.html