Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timelines for recovery

Timelines for recovery

OK, enough about rumors. Let´s be precise here, quads and paras. What exactly has returned and when? And how much exercise did you do, what kind? And level? And how traumatic was the injury?

I´ll start

T11-T12 crushed by dodge ram pick up. Spinal roots intact

First week: Had almost normal genital sensation, painful urethral sensation, normal anal sensation including pinprick. No motor or sensation from waist down. Belly shots did not hurt. Could feel full bladder.

1-2 months: Pressure sensation down to feet, with patches of no sensation. Could not pee at all.

4 months: more and more sensation. Normal sensation in belly (refused shots there LOL), semi normal in butt. Reflexive peeing if bladder full with no control. Unable to pee at will (tried). L leg much more spastic than R (later it will be the opposite)

6 months: Normal abdominal muscles. Hip flexors come back, R stronger than L 2 plus versus 1 plus. Flicker glut contraction. temperature sensation R hamstrings, soles of feet, and butt. Patches of pinprick L thigh. Normal sensation to below both inguinal areas.

7 -9 months: Stronger gluts, L knee flexors 2/5,toes back 3/5, plantar flexors 2/5. Abductors and adductors 2/5. Can start to hold urine and pee at will, but with urgency. Right leg becomes severely spastic, and right foot at risk of contracture, with 0/5 ankle movement. Horribly spastic and painful R hip. L leg starts to feel like it´s my "good" leg, and R my screwy one.

10-11 months: L ankle inversion 3/5, L ankle flexor 2/5. Extensors 1-2/5 in both legs. Stop cathing, can hold 350 cc urine and hold it for a while, and urinate at will. Bladder feels overactive though, not relaxed as before. No bowel accidents but am doing bowel program every other day.

12 months: not there yet!!!

Exercise: MINIMAL. Like, really really minimal.
    Just got my standing frame.

Start exercising like a mad(wo)man and youll get there.

Check out some of my vids. You should be able to do some in that standing frame!

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=63537

Good luck!

-Jeff.
    IMPOSSIBLE IS JUST A BIG WORD THROWN AROUND BY SMALL MEN WHO FIND IT EASIER TO LIVE IN THE WORLD THEY'VE BEEN GIVEN THAN TO EXPLORE THE POWER THEY HAVE TO CHANGE IT. IMPOSSIBLE IS NOT A FACT. IT'S AN OPINION. IMPOSSIBLE IS NOT A DECLARATION. IT'S A DARE. IMPOSSIBLE IS POTENTIAL. IMPOSSIBLE IS TEMPORARY.

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING.

Mike is 3 months post.
    Month 1 - no sensation
    Month 2 - ASIA B Light touch patchy
    Month 3 - Light touch almost everywhere (is light touch tingle when touched?) When he touches arms can feel sensation in legs. No movement. Standing for about and hour a day for past 3 days. Uses oxycycle 2-3 times a week. Still really needs to work on his core balance and strength.

Crippy are you walking?
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc
    Crippy are you walking?
    NOT AT ALL

I don't want to change the topic, but Cripply with your return you have alot of poential, why keeping the exercise at a minimum?
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Quote Originally Posted by mr_coffee
    I don't want to change the topic, but Cripply with your return you have alot of poential, why keeping the exercise at a minimum?
    PAIN through the roof. I´ll keep trying though

Hi Cripply
    I am 17 years post with T12-L2. Like you a month post I got pressure sensation. two months I could pee. I still cant hold it but I know when I got to go and havent cathed since I left the rehab hospital in July of 1989. I dont do a bowel program and I go when I need to. My feet and calf muscles never came back. I chose not to bring a chair home with me from rehab and have walked with braces ever since. I walk with AFO's and a cane. I have no movement or pain sensation in my feet but I do have pressure sensation. My left is my stronger leg.

Get to exercising girl you can do it!!!!!!!!
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

bump bump bump

Quote Originally Posted by Cripply
    PAIN through the roof. I´ll keep trying though
    I have pain issues as well, but they are usually under control. (It sounds like yours are much worse) One thing I do find, when I am hurting I tend to avoid exercise. But, if I can't avoid it for some reason (I will skip out on exercising on my own for instance, but won't cancel a therapy appointment) I do feel better afterwards. I'm trying to push myself to deliberately exercise when I am in pain, but don't really have the self control to follow through yet.

My point here, after all the rambling, is perhaps exercise might help your pain somewhat? Try a little bit and see what happens? (of course you may have already taken this approach)
    T7-8 since Feb 2005