Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What does a blood clot feel like?

What does a blood clot feel like?

I am having pain in my left leg near the groin area. It can sometimes be sharp and on a level of 1-10 it's about a 5 at it's worst but it can also go away totally. I have very little feeling at all in my legs so I'm guessing if I could feel normaly it would be much more painful.

It started yesterday while driving around and it comes and goes. When I layed down straight last night the pain went away instantly. The pain didn't start up again until I had my legs stretched in the morning and it would burn a small amount while I was exercising in my bed.

When I got up in my chair the pain started to grow after about an hour and a half. I can pinpoint exactly were the the pain is in the groing. It feels like a sharp pain in one exact spot a couple of inches deep in the muscle and it's about the size of a pinky finger nail. We measured my legs in that area, looked for redness and heat but everything checks out normal.

I'm am a little stressed over it right now and I'm not really sure what to do other than make an appointment with my doctor. It would be a few days to get into see him though and if it is a clot could it might be a few days too late. Am I correct on that?

Any information on this would be great. I know when I read the info you give me I will most likely be even more stressed out but that's ok. I would love for this to just be a torn muscle from over stretching but that usually isn't my luck. So my main question is... What does a blood clot feel like when it's in your leg for someone with normal feeling? I will go by that to judge what I feel.

Also I've been taking Coated Asprin for a few months now.

Thank you very much.

I read this also. Is the information close?

http://www.askmen.com/sports/health_...ns_health.html

I have had a blood clot in both legs. They were in the thigh area. With the most recent clot, I was one year post (incomplete injury) and have some sensation. It was a throbbing pain, not a sharp pain and I knew almost immediately it was a clot due to the swelling of the entire leg.

Im not too sure but i think you get a temperature fluctuation too usually . I got some some similar pains for a week or so a while back and it was just muscular but bloody hell it hurt! so don't panic but monitor it for swelling and stuff. Hope it eases soon for ya'

Quote Originally Posted by JW
    I have had a blood clot in both legs. They were in the thigh area. With the most recent clot, I was one year post (incomplete injury) and have some sensation. It was a throbbing pain, not a sharp pain and I knew almost immediately it was a clot due to the swelling of the entire leg.
    Geeze, that's sounds scary. My leg isn't swelling at all and it isn't hot or anything. It's just a concentrated pain that I haven't felt before and it has me stressing a bit. Thanks for your help JW, it doesn't seem like I have a clot if swelling occurs that quickley.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrylips
    Im not too sure but i think you get a temperature fluctuation too usually . I got some some similar pains for a week or so a while back and it was just muscular but bloody hell it hurt! so don't panic but monitor it for swelling and stuff. Hope it eases soon for ya'
    Yeah, that must be what I'm having. It isn't Neuro pain or anything, it's actual pain. A muscle must have been torn while stretching. My tendons have been tightening up quite a bit lately so mabey my jiggly muscles couldn't handle the exercises. The pain has also gone down while leaning back on the couch and I've done minimal movement today so that's probably helping to give it a break. Thanks a bunch for the responses, they've eased my little sissy nerves.

Don't think that because it is not red or warm to the touch that it is not a blood clot. My son is currently recovering from a blood clot in his thigh and didn't experience either of those symptoms. He did have some swelling and a simple ultrasound verifed that it was indeed a blood clot. He doesn't have feeling in his legs so the only thing he had to go by was the swelling. I would have it checked out if your not sure. Hopefully, it's nothing and having it checked will give you peace of mind.

Pain that you describe can be many things as described above.
    Most often a clot is accompanied by erdness sweelling of the aera as well as down the leg but not always. Other considerations would be
    muscle strain or hernia.

I would contact your doctor and let him/her know of your symptoms and will schedule an appt accordingly.

AAD

Quote Originally Posted by IMHopeful
    Don't think that because it is not red or warm to the touch that it is not a blood clot. My son is currently recovering from a blood clot in his thigh and didn't experience either of those symptoms. He did have some swelling and a simple ultrasound verifed that it was indeed a blood clot. He doesn't have feeling in his legs so the only thing he had to go by was the swelling. I would have it checked out if your not sure. Hopefully, it's nothing and having it checked will give you peace of mind.
    Yes, I remember reading your post about your son. That's one reason why I thought of a clot right away. I hope he's doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Pain that you describe can be many things as described above.
    Most often a clot is accompanied by erdness sweelling of the aera as well as down the leg but not always. Other considerations would be
    muscle strain or hernia.

I would contact your doctor and let him/her know of your symptoms and will schedule an appt accordingly.

AAD
    I will definately do that tomorrow. Thank you for the information.