Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recovery...5 years post+

Recovery...5 years post+

It's measurable, it's observable, it's definable.

For the first time since I was hurt, I can put my chest down to my knees....and sit up from this position with no assistance from my hands. I was diagosed T5 complete. Today, when the muscles kicked, I sat up so fast I almost flipped my chair backwards

What have I been doing:

1) Biofeedback therapy...three years.
    2) Acupuncture in France.
    3) Swimming...really REALLY often
    4) Pilates...in the last three months I started this.

My back muscles are now voluntarily functional down to L2.

Was it worth it? You're not kidding it's worth it...especially for the opportunity to tell my Jackson physical therapists they were wrong...

GO TEAM!
    Eric Texley

Etex, excellent man. I hope it continues for you. I am a T6 complete that rehabed at Jackson too. No return so far, not doing nearly as much as you either. Good luck and keep at it. What therapy do you think has helped the most and when did you start it (how long ago and how long after injury??)
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Wow that is awesome man! Keep up the hard work and I hope for more return for you!
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Quote Originally Posted by etexley
    It's measurable, it's observable, it's definable.

For the first time since I was hurt, I can put my chest down to my knees....and sit up from this position with no assistance from my hands. I was diagosed T5 complete. Today, when the muscles kicked, I sat up so fast I almost flipped my chair backwards

What have I been doing:

1) Biofeedback therapy...three years.
    2) Acupuncture in France.
    3) Swimming...really REALLY often
    4) Pilates...in the last three months I started this.

My back muscles are now voluntarily functional down to L2.

Was it worth it? You're not kidding it's worth it...especially for the opportunity to tell my Jackson physical therapists they were wrong...

GO TEAM!

This is all great news - congratulations. Your exercise/therapy programme is commendable.
    Can I ask you - did you (or do you) suffer from spasticity or spasms? I was wondering that if you did, how did you overcome them to get where you are? If I bend right forward while sitting in my chair and then try to sit up (with the help of my hands/arms) I can get very strong spasticity in my torso that keeps pulling me back down. It often takes all my strength to fight it. I am T4 complete.

Back up

That's fantastic!

The pilates works the core and this sounds like a core move. I wonder if there is a move that requires these muscles that you have been doing. Please share. Pat

WOO HOO ERIC!!!

yay, friend! keep on keeping on!!!

way to go!

yay!!!

yahoo!

Take care, God bless...

Teena

WTG eric that is awesome!
    Daniel

Its GREAT to hear news like this. I'm looking for a rehab place here in Houston because i've gained movement sideways and if sitting straight enough on the chair I can move forward and pull myself backward with no hands. All this happended over six months afte the sci. I've always thought that exercising something always would do me great and promise myself to go swiming when summer comes up. I'm attending to a bed sore that exposed my back bone 8 months ago and its almost heald. After that I have no more excuses to keep me away from the pool and the rehab.
    AstrO

That is awesome news....I was wondering what your opinion was of your accupuncture in France. Do you feel that it helped you in any way? We are taking my son (T10 complete) there in a few weeks. He is almost 6 months post. Also, how often did you go?

Are you all getting the laser acupuncture? How long before you guys saw an effect and could you please quantify the effect?
    Daniel