Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ICU Psychosis??????

ICU Psychosis??????

Hello All
    I just returned from the hospital and Im a little concerned about Jeremy. He is hallucinating a LOT. He sees and feels things that arent there and tells us things that are happening that arent. Its a little unsettling and I try to just go along with whatever he is saying because he gets upset and agitated. They put a trach in yesterday and so he is not really even talking just mouthing but if he gets upset then you can hear him - like a whisper - because of the force he is using to try and speak. He has also been talking to himself when we arent in the room. Is he okay? I dont know if any of you would even remember this sort of thing but I thought maybe the Nurse could shed a little light?

Also I took a print out of all the kind replies I have gotten to my sister. I will steer her (and Jeremy) here when they are ready.

Thank you all for just being here.

Dawn

It's probably the morphine. I had wild, crazy, and unpredictable dreams while I was in ICU too. I think a lot of people did. They seem so real & can make it scary. Hopefully they'll go away as he begins to recover.
    If there is light
    it will find
    you

--Charles Bukowski

had tripped out dreams immediately following surgery ...

for some reason i thought i was on a prison barge, it was extremely cold and we were fighting each other with little metal shivs ... scary stuff.

After they woke me up after being "under" for 5 days, I was incredibly paranoid and thought that i wasn't allowed to tell anyone where i was or who i was. I also thought it was a secret what date it was. So basically, when the nurses would ask me questions about what my name is and what month it was and what had happened to me, I thought I wasn't supposed to talk about it.

I had this silly set of rules I thought I had to follow ... like no talking about the accident, and stuff.

I also had auditory hallucinations and kept seeing trippy patterns in the wallpaper and ceiling tiles ...

fortunately, the nurses were all very patient with me and after a few days, the drugs wore off and I became my very boring usual self again.
    Daniel

Its completely normal and expected. They're probably giving him huge doses of morphine and maybe something like versed or halidol. I had SOO many hallucinations when I was in ICU. I was in an induced coma for 9 days and I had some SCARY dreams and was thrashing about A LOT. Thats the scariest thing to be somewhat semi-conscious and unable to talk, move or communicate at all.
    Then when I woke up I had some crazy hallucinations. Some good, some bad. they had to restrain me and I ended up breaking my wrist because the nurse was an idiot and didn't tie the restraints right. I remember pretty much everything, so if you have any specific questions you'd like to ask me feel free. I'd tell you about my whole ICU experience, but that'd be 800 pages. I was in there a month so i feel like an authority on the whole ICU scene.
    Best of wishes for you and all your family, especially Jeremy.
    Don't think of yourself as an ugly person, just a beautiful monkey.
    Always remember: if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

The accoustical ceiling tiles talked to me, but they weren't nice. **shudder** There is no sense of time, or day or night in ICU, that adds to the morphine. It's terrifying. I would have killed for a clock with a.m. and p.m.

He's probably talking to himself to keep his sanity. This is scary but it must be normal because I think we all did it.

Keep asking questions! You're doing the right thing!
    Last edited by betheny; 06-25-2006 at 01:13 AM.

The tiles didn't talk to me, but there was an old man on a stationary exercise bike who had colorful flying balloons all around him in my light. I used to get ticked because he got to play with balloons for therapy and I had to do a tilt table. I'm thankful it makes me laugh now. Then it wasn't so funny.
    If there is light
    it will find
    you

--Charles Bukowski

When my wife was in the ICU, I noticed those things, too; due to the drugs. Additionally, a nurse there told me that sleep deprivation is common in the ICU, due to the constant beeping, noises of pumps, passage of people back & forth, being awakened every hour for "can you feel this?" and so on.
    About all you (the "visitor") can do is be comforting and calming; try not to act upset. That was pretty much a full-time job for those 2 nightmarish weeks. Just 1 year ago now for us...
    Like Betheny says, ask questions. Along with your sister, there is plenty of room for you to become part of the team helping Jeremy.
    - Richard

Ok heres a list of things I saw while I was drugged up:

Blue birds, landing on the shoulders of my visitors

Puppies, which I begged my nurse to give me one of to take home

A beautiful, asian kinda room; it was beautiful, but I was trapped in it.

I had clear memories of watchin my bowels being taken out of my body and dropped on the floor. (that really happened, I was awake for part of my surgery)

Thought I was on vacation at my nurses house, and that her aide was her daughter who Iwas supposed to be baby sitting, but she kept leaving the room and I couldn't make my body move to go and watch her

Flshbacks to the accident - I would freak out and start crying and no one knew why untill later when Iwas conscious enough to explain.

I started talking with a southern accent << that was SO weird I just couldn't stop it

I woke up at 3am once and I felt perfectly alert, but I decided I had to get out of there because they were trapping me and so I ripped my central line out, pulled out my feeing tube and tried to get up;

I told every male nurse / aide I had that he was HOT

I had my dad call the school counciler and hold the phone to my ear & I cried at her because I wanted to be validictorian and how could I do that after i'd missed 2 weeks of school?

I refused to use the call button because I didn't want to be a bother, and so I just yelled at the nurses instead.

Euphoria.. when I woke up enough, I strted reading the letters people had sent me (litterally a hundred +) I was so whacked out on morphine I started saying how much I loved everyone (I named a list of people who I once HATED with my entire being that I was now going to hug when I got outta the hospital. I never did BTW)

The list goes on and on and on. Jeremy won't be like this im sure, but you can pick and choose what you think he's going thru and now you'll have a little more to relate to anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ButtMonkey

A beautiful, asian kinda room; it was beautiful, but I was trapped in it.
    <snip>

I refused to use the call button because I didn't want to be a bother, and so I just yelled at the nurses instead.
    Hey I remember seeing that asian kinda room. it was beautiful, but I couldn't jump out either.

Course the nurses would just ignore me when I pressed the call button.
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc
    Hey I remember seeing that asian kinda room. it was beautiful, but I couldn't jump out either.

Course the nurses would just ignore me when I pressed the call button.
    WOW really? Was it with the paper walls and a whole buncha silk pillows and chaise lounges everywhere? Kinda with a deep red/burgundy color theme?