Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Family pictures

Thanks again for all your kind remarks.

Bethany,
    Actually it's an Armstrong brand laminate. Here is a link at Lowe's.
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...081&lpage=none
    It's about a year-old. We also have two dogs and it holds up great, no scratches, marks, etc. Best of all it is zero maintenance other than mopping. We have carpet in Allie's room and the guest bedroom. Everything else is either tile or laminate.

-Rob

why did u opt to go with laminate instead of real wood? jim and i's next project is the flooring in the living rm and master bedrm. there is carpeting and it's taking a beating; everything else is tile. i just don't know what to do...wood gets scratches and can be fixed. laminate can have just about anything spilled on it and won't stain but scartches can't be fixed. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

have u guys been getting those monster storms like we have...at least we can have fire works for the 4th this yr take care! oh yeah....beautiful family u got there.

stormie

The house was new construction and we needed some floor covering for a large foyer/dining room area that flowed into a large family room. I didn't really consider wood because I wanted something that would be the least amount of maintenance and hassle for my wife to deal with. Plus I heard some problems people had with wood, but that could have been the installation rather than the material itself. The style we went with looks like wood planks instead of a huge flat wood grain surface. Prior to going that route we took some keys and deliberately tried to scratch the surface. It didn't work, no scratches.

We have lived in the house now since December of last year and there is not a mark on it. We have two dogs, a 95-100 pound black lab, and a 65 pound mutt. They get all hyped up full of energy playing with a toy or running in and out of a pet door that we had built into the wall and the floor takes the abuse without a problem. The only thing I could see doing that would damage it would be if you were to drop something heavy with an edge that could chip the surface.

As far as the storms, yeah we got a little rain over the weekend which I did not mind at all. I don't know how this year will be hurricane wise. Our house sits on an acre of land in a tiny nine house subdivision without any tall trees around. We have some roebelenii palms in the landscaping and four small oaks in the front, but they won't be hurting anything. Since we now live in a more rural area with a well and septic system, we went ahead and shelled out the bucks for a whole house standby generator that sits on a concrete slab alongside our garage. If the power goes out it kicks on and we're back up and running within 15 seconds. If the power goes out for a long time due to a storm, I'll probably be the most popular guy on the Street!

Take care,
    Rob

hey rob...

we thought about investing and putting in one of those generators...dads on oxygen. he has tanks but that wouldn't last long. last yr half the neighborhood was out for almost 5 days. we called a few companys and we nearly chit our pants with prices...lol so we opted for one that will support several appliances plus dads oxygen.

thanks for the info on the flooring; i'm gonna check out lowes.