Thread: How do I find help?

How do I find help?

My job wants me back and I want to go back, but MIke still needs a lot of help. How can I find someone like a PCA to come for like an hour or 2 everyday?

fmla

Quote Originally Posted by ChopperChick
    My job wants me back and I want to go back, but MIke still needs a lot of help. How can I find someone like a PCA to come for like an hour or 2 everyday?
    have you filed FMLA?

No. I was only there 2 months so I didn't even make the 90 day probation period.

Someone at the rehab facility should be able to give you (should have given you if they were on the ball) local info on that.
    - Richard

Nope, never got anything maybe because they said he would be independent and wouldn't need help, but for now he does still need assistance.

This is just wishful thinking. He will freak out if I tell him that I want to go back to work.

Try giving them a call.
    Also, check your PM inbox.
    - Richard

Put an add in the paper, and interview people. But be careful with some of the responses. I ended up getting one from a male taxi driver with no experience at all. I don't think so!
    ~Ashley~

Lol, Ashley - we had a call like that - from a guy who had zip experience - he'd just seen 'aides' walking around the mall with folks in chairs, and thought it would be 'cool'. (roll eyes).

Chopper Chick - Can you go back to work part time? What sort of help does he need? Can it be done in the a.m. before you go to work - ie, help w/dressing, etc., then setting him up with food, drinks, phone, etc.

You need to figure out what level of help you'd need if you're gone - will this person be doing showers, bowel program, etc? Or just acting as another pair of hands to help with meals, etc.

Places to put flyers or ads:

Penny Saver (cheaper and more productive than the paper)
    Hand out flyers in the parking lot at change of shift for local nursing homes (to the CNAs)
    Post on bulletin boards at local colleges, esp. those with nursing programs or other health professional training
    Put ads in the newspaper of any local military bases
    Ask your church to put something in the church bulletin or newsletter
    Post at the unemployment office
    Give to the local women's shelter

Write a job description (actually, your husband should do this). Describe in detail the care needed and the time it takes. Include any perks (do you provide transportation or reimburse? Provide meals? Use of your pool or not?). Include conditions of employment (how many unexcused absences, how many late times allowed, etc.) and pay. Include if you will be withholding SS and taxes or if they are responsible for their own.

Use this to give to those who inquire about the job and have them review at the time of interviews. Be prepared with a simple contract you write up that includes all of this and that both they and you (both you and your husband) sign.

Make up a list of questions to use when interviewing. Don't be picky about previous experience. Your husband should be able to train the person and direct his own care if he learned anything in rehab. Sometimes no previous experience is actually an asset as you don't have to "unteach" anything. Look primarily at a good personality connect, attitude and dependability. Definately get and check references.

It is easiest to get PCAs early AM and early evening. Anything less than 2 hours at a time is difficult to recruit as it is not worth their travel time. Your husband may need to get up before noon and go to bed at a reasonable hour to accomodate you going back to work. He shouldn't need someone with him during the middle of the day with his level of injury. He should be able to fix his own lunch and do his own caths the rest of the day. How much longer is he in his spinal orthosis?

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 06-24-2006 at 09:51 AM.