Thread: question about "false path" regarding urology

question about "false path" regarding urology

First, I have seen references to the phenomenon which my urologost calls a "false path" here in the forums.

Definition: A 'false path' is the term assigned to the occurrence of having the catheter follow another path, other than the one through the urethra and through the involuntary sphincter at the bladder entrance and then into the bladder.

From personal experiences, I think the catheter gets sidetracked, literally, around the prostate and goes into the seminal vesicle area, and then proceeds to perforate delicate tissue if the catheter is pushed with generally the same force required to push the catheter through the sphincter.

Now the question...
    Is this phenomenon called by another name in this forum?

I did a word search and could not find an explanation nor an occurrence of the term.

i don't think it is a case of the cath entering a seminal vesicle, that structure is too small. rather, i think it is a case, when over time, the repeated microtrauma of passing a cath through the urethra causes tissue breakdown and formation of a new tunnel/channel that enlarges and deepens and can eventually perforate adjoining structures/tissues

False passages can occur anywhere along the urethra. They are more common in men than in women. You can sometimes see them called urethral diverticuli. They are usually related to being too forceful with a catheter that is too stiff. They are rare in men with sensation as the trauma would be painful before damage would be done.

They can be caused by putting in a urethra indwelling catheter wrong too....I recently had a client who had his catheter pushed so hard through his urethral wall (in a nursing home) that it went all the way into his scrotum.

(KLD)

last question ... for KLD

First, thanks for the help and response. Really appreciate it.

The question... background first.
    "As we discussed before, I would avoid using a Coude tipped catheter"

This is a quote from the group of comments in the other threads relating to urethral diverticuli --- whatever you called it.

After the Jan 2002 experience with a 'false path' I began using the coude tipped catheters with the guide strip. No problems since. They work fine. I even treat the catheters as "hydrophilic" and wet them with hot water. I quit using KY unless I am somewhere other than a clean sink. Again, no problems.

Question is... why the comment about the coude tipped catheters? Is this based on the pre-guide stipe era of catheters (which was the case back in 1997)? I think Mentor got the patent only a few years (4 or 5?) ago.

Also, the idea that the catheter was damaging tissue around the prostate had to do with the nature of the wound and the ease and speed of recovery. But I guess that without the scope-out, we will never know. And maybe it does not matter.

Topspin -- The correct use of a Coude tip catheter should prevent going into a false passage and it sounds like it is working for you. Can you summarize what was said previously about the avoidance of these special tipped catheters? It may have been on a different thread. That way I can elaborate a bit more. Thanks. PLG