Thread: Check out my new web site!

Talking Check out my new web site!

Check out my new web site!

http://www.xlsite.com/lst660/

It is about my Grandfather's ship, the LST 660, during World War II. Shortly after I had my injury, on July 1st 2002, my grandfather passed away at the age of 79 after a 10 year fight with cancer (multiple myeloma). When he was first diagnosed, the doctors gave him six months to live but he was a tough old bastard, and the most hilarious and personable man I have ever met. My grandfather, "Dick" Humpert, and I were very close and I was absolutely devastated (after already being in pretty bad shape from my recent [4 months] SCI). After the funeral in St. Louis, I was going though some of his World War II navy pictures, and information. I had always been a huge history buff, and wanted to learn more about his time in the Navy, and his experiences and started my quest to find out what he, and the brave men on the LST 660 did during the war. My Grandfather used to tell me some great stories about his time in the Navy but I wanted to learn more. I started digging for info on the Internet, from the government, and eventually even got into contact with many of my grandfathers surviving shipmates, buddies, and relatives of.

Since I had all this great information, I figured I might as well do something with it, so I created the web site in order to honor these men. It has been a great experience finding out what my Grandfather and the men of the LST 660 experienced. It is of course still a work in progress as I learn more information, and talk more people. I am pretty excited as I am planning on attending the LST 660's 27th annual Reunion as an honorary guest in Norfolk VA this summer! If you get a chance, please check out the Website, and Please Please give the Richard R. Humpert link a click!

Hello Flyarmy64,

Thanks for informing us about your website and your mission to bring back memories of the ship and crew of the LST-660.

Last Sunday (Father's Day), we gathered at my brother's for a barbeque and my parents were there with our good friends, the Hansens. While at the barbeque Ed asked me (after I took out my laptop) to find the 100TH BOMB GROUP. He was pleasantly surprised when I found the pictures of his crew, along with the plane (B-17 The Flying Fortress). My Dad also was there as a flight navigator with the Army Air Corps stationed in England. It's sad to see that there are less and less World War II Veterans alive.

Good luck!

Thanks PN. It is definitely sad that we are losing the "Greatest Generation" at such a rapid rate. There are only a handful of crew members that are still around from the ship, and even less that are healthy and are able to travel to the reunion. Tom Kehoe was the youngest crewmember on the LST 660 and is now 79.

That is great that your father was a B-17 navigator! I bet that he has some great stories, is he still around? I am all about aviation and especially love WWII warbirds. I started flying Cessna 150's when I was 16, and then went on to the Air Force, then on to Army aviation. Fly Army -- Hoooah! One of my post - injury goals is to take a ride in a P-51!!

Awesome site!!!

Outstanding website! We have an LST docked here in Evansville, IN. I've seen it from a distance, doesn't look very Wheelchair friendly.
    It's webpage isn't nearly as impressive as yours.
    http://www.evansvillecvb.org/visitor...mation/lst.tpl
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Flyarmy64
    That is great that your father was a B-17 navigator! I bet that he has some great stories, is he still around? I am all about aviation and especially love WWII warbirds. I started flying Cessna 150's when I was 16, and then went on to the Air Force, then on to Army aviation. Fly Army -- Hoooah! One of my post - injury goals is to take a ride in a P-51!!
    My Dad is still with us and he will be 82 in December. Ed Hanson and my Father are both living/walking World War II history books.

Is the P-51 your favorite aircraft of the 20th-century?

Fascinating information and a great tribute to your grandpa.

One comment I would make is that since the home page and the navigation consist of pictures of text, they're not very accessible to people with vision problems - and a substantial portion of your desired audience may fall into that category.

A useful tool for evaluating website accessibility: WebXact (used to be Bobby)

Hat a great site. Thanks for sharing with us.

Thank you to everyone for checking out the site!

RRBBTT,
    The LST 325 used to be docked In Mobile Alabama, and while on vacation in Gulfport/New Orleans last summer (before Katrina), I was going to check it out while in Mobile, but fortunately called ahead of time and found out both that it would be away on the 2005 summer cruise, and that as you stated, it's not exactly very wheelchair accessible.

I did however visit the U.S.S. Wisconsin battleship while I was there and it is very accessible. It also has a great aviation museum and many World War II through present-day tanks on location also. I also visited the U.S.S. Missouri and the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial while I was in Hawaii on my honeymoon in 2004 and they are both very wheelchair accessible also (although you obviously can not board the U.S.S. Bowfish? WWII submarine). What I loved about the U.S.S. Alabama is that it is still in it's ww2 configuration.

PN,
    That's great that your dad is still around! I really don't favor the P-51 over any other World War II era fighter, I am addicted to all of the WW2 era aircraft including the B-17. They have a couple of B-17's that you can take a ride in that I have seen, one when I was at an airshow at Whitemen AFB with one of our AH-64 A's, and another at the Vintage Flying Museum in Fort Worth, Texas ( http://www.vintageflyingmuseum.org ). I also find many of the Luftwaffe's secret program aircraft highly fascinating, check out: http://www.luft46.com/

KATJA,
    Thanks for the advise on my index page. I understand completely what you're saying about the Jpeg format. However, I just like the look of the index page too much to change it, and also, all other pages on this Site are formatted differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyarmy64
    KATJA,
    Thanks for the advise on my index page. I understand completely what you're saying about the Jpeg format. However, I just like the look of the index page too much to change it, and also, all other pages on this Site are formatted differently.
    Please don't take this as a personal attack. This sounds like the restaurant owner who likes the look of his 15 steps to get into the restaurant too much to consider making it accessible.

There are ways to get an almost identical look while at the same time providing an accessible website.