Thread: Hubby gets AD every day.. Normal?

Hubby gets AD every day.. Normal?

His bladder is always the issue. As soon as we cath him his headache goes away. We may have to cath every 5 hours instead of 6 or something, but.. Is this normal? We have it once a day or every other day. He's coming home tomorrow. Makes me nervous.

I guess you need to cath more frequently. Very important that you find a solution so that your hubby maintains high fluid intake. Keeping fluids up is a genuine prioriy.

Has your husband had urodynamic studies coming out of rehab? It is essential that you know bladder pressures during an intermittent catheter regime. It is not unusual at all to have to cath every 4 hours or less. A urodymanics study will give a lot of insight into the condition of your husband's neurogenic bladder.

What is your husband's level of injury?

All the best,
    GJ

When doing IC, Chad needed to be cathed every 4 hours, 5 was too long.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Quote Originally Posted by JacksonsGirl View Post
    His bladder is always the issue. As soon as we cath him his headache goes away. We may have to cath every 5 hours instead of 6 or something, but.. Is this normal? We have it once a day or every other day. He's coming home tomorrow. Makes me nervous.
    It sounds like you have this figured out!

6 hours is about the longest recommended time betw caths. A lot of people need more, especially in the morning. You may find you need to cath ever 4 hours for a time or two, then can stretch the rest of the day back to 6. I can only go every 6 hours by limiting what I drink. No recommended as a regular routine, but I will do it sometimes if I am not home to limit the amount of cathing i need to do out and about.

Quote Originally Posted by JacksonsGirl View Post
    He's coming home tomorrow. Makes me nervous.
    From what I have seen of your questions, I think you will do fine. Glad to hear he is heading home. Listen to your instincts, often they are right on!
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

You should cath him every 4-5 hours. What is the amount and why every 6 hours?Your schedule should revolve around volumes less than 400 mls or before AD occurs.
    Durign the night if not drinking he might can go 6 hours.
    CWO

AD is usually caused by either the bladder or bowels...but most often the bladder.

Early after my injury I also did the intermitent cath...soon I found it wasn't practical because you can't drink much and you need someone to help you with the cath (if you don't have the hand function to self-cath). For a few years I used an indwelling foley cath...but that one has big drawbacks (you pretty much can't have sex w/ the indwelling cath in)9. Now I use a supra-pub cath...it's by far the best option...at least for me.

Tweak his schedule some. Take notes- cath more often around that once a day AD. If capacity is lower than 350 mls then might try an anti -cholinergic to relax the bladder and hold more. If already on one is he on max dose- and then if that doesn't work botox- bladder augmentation or some type of revision where stoma is on abdomen and can cath with miimal hand function. then of course the SPOtube is an option.
    Also there is a new anticholiergic coming out by end of year that works on a different route ( B 3) so stay tuned!!!
    CWO

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Also there is a new anticholiergic coming out by end of year that works on a different route ( B 3) so stay tuned!!!
    CWO
    Would you post the name of this new drug for our reference. Much appreciated.

Thanks,
    GJ