Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do Any Quads Play Guitar?

Do Any Quads Play Guitar?

I am wondering if anyone out there with limited or impaired hand function plays guitar and if so, what kind of modifications do you use?

I have recently started playing again and I can play a few chords and some power chords but I can't pick individual notes. Oh well, it's still fun!

I am fortunate to have a very functional left hand that is able to play at all. My right hand is severely impaired and i just strum the strings with my hand without a pick. I have heard there are guitar picks out there that loop around a finger so you dont have to hold it. That is what I need. I was using a pack of Listerine Fresh Breath Strips as a pick the other night and it worked alright. It was thick enough that I was able to grip it with my right hand.

Paras that play guitar, feel free to comment as well about your guitar experiences, frustrations, problems, successes, etc! I'd love to hear em.

Music is what you make it.

finger pick

My daughter (non SCI) uses as finger pick something like this

when she plays the guitar. They are available at the music shop we frequent with the other picks. Would that help? It comes in different sizes, so you could get on that is tight enough to stay on well.

Then I found this on Amazon.com

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...141187758_.jpg

I thought it might work with the use of a little duct tape or something. No idea if either of these would work for you, but just an idea.

Good luck with the guitar! I am sure that you will come up with something that works for you. Glad the left hand works, I can't imagine how you would work around that.

Matt, have you tried alternate tunings, like tuning the guitar to a G major chord? This allows you to play chords with a lot less fingering demands.

I play in a band about twice a week and gig out once every six weeks or so. My frustration is that it is very uncomfortable to play from the chair, and it is easier to make execution mistakes. Also my effects table is butt ugly. I got pictures if you want to see them.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

i play too, but not well

let's see those pics!

Alternate tuning

You should definately do some research on alternate tuning. I've got a good AB friend who plays guitar and we ran across this guy in the park who was playing with his feet (no arms). He just put the guitar on the ground and went at it. It was amazing to watch. My friend started to tell me all about how his guitar was tuned in a special way to help him out but it all went over my head. So different tuning can definately make things easier.

Good Luck. Glad you've picked it up again.

If I may butt in with my own guitar-related questions - how did you all learn to play?

I have an acoustic guitar I bought over a year ago. I tried to learn on my own, but I found it difficult. I thought online resources might help, but I'm left-handed, and instruction for left-handed players seems scant.

Keps

Karen,

My kids have taken lessons for years from Susan Mazer. She also has written a good book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

Don't know if she addresses lefties, but I will have my daughter ask next week.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/STEPHA%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Surf_Sister
    i play too, but not well

let's see those pics!
    One of the most usual alternate tunings is G major. Tuning goes G-B-D-G-B-G. This gives you an open strum to sound like a G major chord. This way you move up and down the neck with a partial or full bar and change the chord. The guy with no hands may be Tony Melendez who uses an alternate G major tuning, he is absolutely amazing.

I'll post a couple of pics of my set up and the butt ugly table I have to have next to me. Hope it gives you ideas, I'll take ideas too.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

I'm left handed myself...

...I play a right handed guitar upside down and backwards...Having dyslexia helps...I can "see" things backwards when it comes to reading chords in books...

Quote Originally Posted by keps
    If I may butt in with my own guitar-related questions - how did you all learn to play?
    I learned it all on my own. I had a friend who played and he taught me how to read tablature. From there, I just practiced and practiced and got better all the time.

It's a long slow process to be able to play decently, but it is fun and each time you learn something new it is exciting.

I can't even play 25% as well as I used to be able to because of my lack of finger function, but I make do with what I got. I can still play a few chords and it's a lot of fun to mess around on.

I am working on finishing a song I wrote and when I get it done, I'll post it. Be warned tho, I can't sing for shit.